Volvo reviews or opinions

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by EmersonSC, Feb 13, 2010.

1. jtjslim2

jtjslim2 Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Im having a similar problem as daddy&mama2go, i have a 2007 Volvo 780 with the D12 engine, just got it took it on one trip and when i got home my air pressure started to go down, after three minutes of sitting in line to unhook trailer my low pressure warning siren started going of, kinda surprised me since i was sitting and i never had an issue the whole trip, i step on the accelerater and broke it up to 80 psi, then a minute later it was back under 60, so i finally got in the yard, unhooked and proceeded to go home with only 60 psi of pressure, it keeped going down to 40 psi since i was driving slow, of course my high gears wouldnt work since i didnt have enough pressure, oh yea i have a speed shift auto tranny (i think thats whats its cald) or i shift...so i was worried that my brakes would lock up so i got home as fast as possible. The truck hasnt moved since. I turned it on today for about an hour hoping it was a one time thing, but nop, no air pressure, i reved it up for about ten minutes, and i got it as far as 30 psi... looked around for leaks but couldnt find anything... is there a way i can check if my compressor is good? Or does anyone have any suggestions? ? I put everything i had into this truck and the permits to be a o/o, and i have $40 in my pocket and really hope its not the compressor. ...help me plz

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wes1285

Wes1285 Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2018
    I have a 2014 Volvo that has super single tires on the drive Wheels both of the front Drive ties blowout on Driver side and passinger side due to the blowout it bent my catwalk and ripped off the mud flaps, and on the passenger side it put a big dent in my fuel tank lucky it didn't put a hole in the fuel tank. I feel like this is a defect on the makers of Volvo they should have reinforce mud flaps behind those super single tires.have anyone else had this problem please respond.

4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    A defect? It's a mudflap not an army tank. What do you expect to happen when you shell off 25 or 30 lbs tire tread at highway speeds? It's going to tear some stuff up. If it doesn't you got lucky. Supersingles are worse than duals in this respect. Supersingle blowout is lots of damage not to mention a $1,500 service call for a new tire + rim. Ridiculous.

win-some-loose-less Thanks this.
  5. Grizz 79

Grizz 79 Bobtail Member

Mar 16, 2018
    1.1 mill on my 06 volvo engine, injectors starter a few sensors is all I've done,how many cumings do u c at 400,000 with fresh O .H in truck paper LOTS !

6. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Tire blowouts are almost always avoidable.
    Don't curb your tires
    Don't over speed your tires
    Keep 120 psi in singles. Always.

7. christopherclaycomb

christopherclaycomb Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2018

8. greg3070

greg3070 Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Victorville, CA

I am in a similar situation, looking for my own truck. Fortunately I have bank financing to buy my own with 5% down, But I have been in your situation before. Whatever works to get us out of the claws of the trucking companies is the way to go. Just be careful with those lease to own programs. I have heard many horror stories and am thankful I don't need to go that route. I'm sure you have done some research based on what you have written and I hope it pays off well for you.

I'm thinking I will likely be getting a 2016, or newer, Freightliner automatic with a mid roof sleeper. My knee has some issues and the clutch takes it's toll on me. In Houston I'm finding them in the low to mid 60k range which is right about what I can afford and maintain operating capitol. The only problem is they seem to sell as fast as they arrive. So I'm waiting patiently for one to show up again near Houston.

I like the Petes, but they are about 10k more than I can comfortably spend and I hear bad things about the ISX and the Paccar engine. Kenworths have similar concerns. They look great, but I'm not sure I can afford them yet. I'm no expert, so I'm open to opinions about that. Maybe they aren't as bad as I've heard. Volvo's scare the hell out of me because I have heard so many stores like other posters said. it costs a fortune to repair and takes forever to get done. As a one man company, that could be a big sting to my livelihood. I've also heard Internationals are an owners nightmare and a mechanics dream. I see they go for a lot less than Freightliner and I can only guess, that's why. I drove one for Heartland Express back to 2012 and they were ok as a driver, but they did go into the shop a lot. Thank god for that "Heartland Cares" money. $62 a day made such a difference in my life <eyeroll>.

Hope to hear more opinions about our searchs and hope you find what you are looking for.

9. Hammercity

Hammercity Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2023
    Would any of you consider buying a 2006 VN Volvo with 900,000km’s for $15,000? Seems to be in good condition.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.