Volvo TCS kicks on all of the time

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Koren, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Koren

Koren Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2018
    I got 2007 Volvo VNL with Cummins CM870. Traction control never worked when I bought it used. Was at the mechanic couple of months ago doing some work on truck and asked for checking on it. He said the sensor was unplugged, he just plugged it in and the light went away. After I left his shop abs and traction control lights came back on on the dash. Didn't have time to go back and fix it, so I was driving it like that for a while. Then, my drive axle broke down and I had it replaced. Yesterday I found wheel seal leaking and the truck was shaking up, so I went to the shop to look at it. Turns out it was a bad front hub and bearings which got replaced. As soon as I got the truck back i noticed that my abs light went off , so as TCS light. But when I started to drive, TCS system engaged right away causing my truck to stop. So the maximum speed I can drive right now is 5-10 mph. The guy I bought the truck from said that he was trying to fix the TCS system and mechanic told him that it will be around 5K to fix it, so he asked them to simply disconnect the sensor so he can drive without it. He have no idea what the problem was.
    I really want to fix it in the future, however I'm loaded and now just need to deliver the load asap, so I want to ask if anyone know how to manually disable TCS system. I can't disable it with the switch on the dashboard.
    Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Can you just unplug the sensor?

4. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Had that problem on last Volvo. I turned out to be a combo of bad wiring (chaffed wire grounding out ) and the big sensor on front of truck in middle of bumper.
    Last time it happened I was also loaded and had to deliver. Called my Volvo at home. They said disconnect speed sensor from side of tranny. That took care of problem of driving.
    So went and made del, put truck in shop where they replaced that sensor on front bumper and found the wiring.

86scotty Thanks this.
  5. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Do you able to pull out fault code and post here?

6. Koren

Koren Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2018
    Thnk you for the info! I just removed the ABS fuse for now.
    It doesn't show any codes. It is not a constant light on. It is a flashing light pretty much showing that the system is operating.

7. Koren

Koren Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2018
    Yes, but I'm not sure where is it...

8. Snailexpress

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    If you check dash option diagnostic brake ECU when light is on it should be code for the light.

9. Koren

Koren Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2018
    Like I said, it doesn't show any codes.
    When it malfunctions, the light stays on. When the light is on, then there is a code.
    In my case it works properly, it shows flashing light when skids. The problem is - it skids all of the time.

10. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    If your axle broke , you are lucky to be ok, be careful could have hurt yourself and people around you. This is the risk of driving old high mileage truck, I had tcs fault few years ago on my last truck well over million miles, took it in a good shop, they inspected measures the axle, and found bearing excessive movement spinning and chewing axle spindle . Soo, they couldn't tighten the bearing and ordered these new axle housings new bearings, but was more expensive solution .You can call axle surgeons to inspect it, or similar axle repair services and weld new spindles if needed perhaps new bearings,it cost about 4-5000$ for all 4 drive axle spindles. I wouldn't drive it like this , don't ignore tcs faults , can indicate one wheel is spinning at a rate it shouldn't, yes most of the time are glitches bad abs sensor wires but can signal loose bearing or something more sinister and dangerous at the end of the axle/hub.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Koren, Snailexpress and Newto Trucking Thank this.
  11. Snailexpress

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    And what is the code??????????????????????

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.