Volvo the code MID 128 SID 27 FMI 7 Should I drive or call the towing

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by The_Judge, Jan 26, 2019.

1. The_Judge

The_Judge Light Load Member

May 25, 2008
    Montreal, Quebec
    Howdy, I've got on my Volvo the code MID 128 SID 27 FMI 7. No power almost at all when I floor the gas pedal. I can drive with 1st and 2nd gear top, and no more than 5 mph. I tested the maximum speed in this empty truckstop so I know that's the maximum speed I can reach.
    The problem is that when I kick the gas very black smoke comes out out the pipes and I know that is not a good sign.
    Can I drive like that 7-8 miles or should I call the towing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Mash on it and call yourself the snowman while the black smoke rolls

4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Get towed. Cop will stop you and make you tow it anyway. Then it may show up on your record as a tow. Or what if a 4 wheeler smashes into the back of you and hurts them or worse? Not worth it.

5. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    5 mph in the left lane should be fine. Anybody honking is just giving you props for your environmentally friendly driving habits.

6. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Do NOT go out onto the highway with that thing. Park it and get a tow. Make sure you can still have the tow vehicle get to you.

Ive taken sick trucks down the road before in my time but today? Nuh uh. You aint going nowhere. Get a tow from your company.

If it has something to do with that code whatever it is great. They will find it and fix it. I bet you 10 to one it's related to your modern emissions crap that is part of our industry today.

8. The_Judge

The_Judge Light Load Member

May 25, 2008
    Montreal, Quebec
    My truck is 2006. No emission fancy stuff. It is the code for turbo actuator. I am worried about the black smoke tho.
    It looks like I will have to call the tow truck as I don't want to screw up the engine.

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  9. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    I know of one definit occurrence where a truck was traveling down the road with check engine lights limiting the trucks speed and a vehicle full of high school kids where speeding and ran into the rear of the semi. The officers cited the blame on the kids, but guess who payed in the law suite.

Long story short call a mechanic or a tow truck, but keep your rig off the highway till it’s fixed!!!

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We have been pouring black smoke for a variety of reasons since the first Desiel engine was built approx mid 1800's in Germany. In my case that tells me the intercooler hose lost a clamp and is pulling in outside air for example. Your turbo has to run right for everything to run well. Without it there isnt any point.

11. McMahons Trucking

McMahons Trucking Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Rollin coal dude. Mash the gas and get gone.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.