Volvo VNL ISX troubles with starter or other electrical issue?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by ThreeM, Mar 30, 2014.

1. ThreeM

ThreeM Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Hi guys,

I have 1998 VNL Cummins M11 and recently started experiencing problems starting the truck.

Sometimes it fires up right away and other times just clicks and can't start.

If i turn the key on and bridge the big posts on the relay on the firewall all I hear is clicking noises from the starter, almost melted the cables but could not fire it up. Went under the truck and knocked the starter with rubber mallet, connected the posts again and finally fired up the truck.

I replaced the starter 3 months or so ago.

Is it possible my almost new starter is bad (starter is refurbished Delco but this is the only one my VOLVO dealer sells).
    Or I have some other electrical issues I can't figure out.

It really drives me crazy at this point and I will appreciate any help.

Sincerely,

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RSQ20

RSQ20 Medium Load Member

Use an amp clamp and measure the draw, seems you may have a hanging armature....

... Philip

ThreeM Thanks this.
  4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Double check your main battery hot at the starter. Any bit of corrosion under the lug or even an 1/8th turn too loose and it will do that. Have someone turn the key at night time and you'll see sparks in the dark at the bad connection.

ThreeM Thanks this.
  5. ThreeM

ThreeM Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I will measure it and will post the results.

I was thinking if it's the starter just replace it since it's still under warranty. The problem is they will give me another re manufactured Delco and I may end up with the same issue...

6. ThreeM

ThreeM Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Already looked at that and no corrosion and it's not loose, I will check again tonight to see if there are any sparks.

7. wonderdog24

wonderdog24 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Puyallup,Wa
    It will be the ground from the starter to the frame.... Clean that up n you will be good to go....

ThreeM Thanks this.
  8. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Buy the new type replacement starter 220$ new gear/redu. so it will sound like a old dodge starting up, most of sol. they use now on recon. starters are not good

ThreeM Thanks this.
  9. ThreeM

ThreeM Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I was thinking about buying a new starter but I'm not sure what brand should I get. My dealer sells only reman. and does not carry any other brands except Delco :( They try to push their items only. Any suggestions?

10. RSQ20

RSQ20 Medium Load Member

I fail to understand why you are not testing the issue, guessing cost time & money...

..... Philip

11. ThreeM

ThreeM Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2014

testing will be the first thing I will do as soon as I return home, I regret not buying amp clamp for the truck since they were $30 at Sears.

Sincerely,

ThreeM

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.