W900A no power to ignition or lights

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Vampire, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    Hi all,

One day I went to start the truck. It started as soon as I turned the key. One of the batteries started smoking, so I turned off the truck right away (and the ignition was in off). After letting everything sit for a while, I disconnected the bad battery and placed it to the side. The other batteries looked ok.

I traced the problem to a bad ground wire that went from the battery to the starter. I replaced that cable, and also the battery cables. The nut that the neutral wire attached to came loose (on back of starter) and I retightened that nut and bolt. I cleaned and tightened everything up, and proceeded to place the key first to the on position. I heard the buzzer, and then started the truck, and it started as soon as I turned the key.

I let the truck run for a while, checked the lights, etc., and then shut it down. Everything seemed back to normal. A few days later I went to go start the truck. When I turned the ignition to the on position, this time there was no buzzer. I checked the lights, and they didn't work. The only thing that worked was the CB that was lit up.

So now I am trying to narrow the problem down. I looked in the battery box, and there appears to be an original Klixon NDLA-135-1 auto reset circuit breaker. Along with that there is a Pollak starter solenoid (old one 85Amps, new one is rated to 100Amps as per the new model), and on the bottom there is a Klixon/texas instruments 35A circuit breaker. I went ahead and ordered replacements for these (they look original to me). The only other thing left is the starter solenoid, or the starter itself.

Any ideas sure would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    Sounds like a loose or bad connection on the power circuit to me. All I can say is trace the wires from the batteries. At every junction test to see if you are getting voltage. I have not worked on a W900A model but from the batteries the battery cables should go to the starter. Check to see if you are getting voltage there. From there on the newer trucks there is a power wire that comes off of that connection at the starter and goes to a power distribution box, on the newer trucks it is mounted on the firewall on the drivers side of the engine compartment, not sure where it is mount on yours, may be inside the truck. At this point see if power is getting there. These checks will help locate where the power has stopped.

Good Luck

Vampire Thanks this.
  4. Vampire

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    Thanks for the fast reply. I'm going to re-check the connections, along with using the multi-meter to test everything.

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Those breakers are a common failed item so replacement is a good idea. Did you test them?
    Problems like that are often related to work that has just been done, not you did anything wrong.
    Some of the harder ones I have came across had wires broken off the the cable end but still connected by a heat shrink covering. The problem was surely preexhisting, some with green corrosion. The wires being disturbed by who ever put the starter battery or whatever on is often blamed when the there is a problem a short time latter.
    Get a six foot jumper wire with clips and connect it to your test light. Turn on the key and the lights. Connect one end to neg battery. Other end to frame, cab, starter ground. Light lights- bad ground. And or connect to pos battery stud. Other end to starter + stud, main feed terminal on LF of firewall, etc. Issolate and conquer.
    Check your alt. output also, due to the smoking battery.

Vampire and AModelCat Thank this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Unfortunately I didn't take the time to look how everything was wired up when I gutted my A model cab. Do you have any juice up to the keyswitch? I also seem to recall that pretty much all electrical accessories are hooked up to the ammeter so I believe one of the positive cables from the circuit breaker runs up to one side of the ammeter and the alternator positive lead and the power feed(s) in the dash are on the other side. I do think a failed ammeter (open) might be able to cause similar symptoms to yours.

Vampire Thanks this.
  7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Did you test the other three batteries to see if they are OK?

8. Vampire

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    Yes. I thought if they started the truck when removing the bad one they should have been ok. But after everyone's input, I might just go ahead and replace them all. The batteries were reading 2.8 volts using the multimeter with the ignition in the off position.

Being one battery was bad, they all could have been affected.

Bakerman Thanks this.
  9. Vampire

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    Update: Truck is running once again.

First, I would like to thank everyone for their help, to include my dad who helped me today.:biggrin_25519:

Second. I picked up 3 new batteries yesterday, and set them in place for today's work.

I first replaced all of the circuit breakers & solenoid that were located inside the battery box (see my previous post for specs). Each wire was previously numbered so they would go back the correct way. They were also cleaned and greased with dielectric grease prior to connecting.

After that, I connected the batteries and the associated wires.

Got in the truck, turned the key to accessory, heard the buzzer, bumped the key, and IT STARTED RIGHT UP!! My Dad and me were so happy.

I have a few things left to do, and then I'm taking it on a trip with the truck.

Thanks again everyone.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.