W900L Standard cab?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Izlomik Supatrucka, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Izlomik Supatrucka

Izlomik Supatrucka Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Texas
    I have an 03 w900L 60" flattop the cab is standard cab not much leg room......
    I have talked to a few people about cutting the hole in the back of my cab and the opening
    in the sleeper bigger and putting a unibilt peterbilt sleeper boot in the place of my factory
    boot so i can slide my seat back farther like a peterbilt with unibilt cab and sleeper....

Has anyone ever done this or know somebody that has done this modification? I talked
    to a guy on cb radio 1 nite he said he knew a guy that did it but ive never seen pics of this done
    and know how hard it actually would be to do.....doesnt seem like there would be much to it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    I've seen it done on an A model so I know its possible but I don't have pics.

4. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    Get the parts from a wrecking yard to convert it to a high roof with an areocab sleeper.
    A guy I know in northern Ca. did it and it was surprisingly easy and the truck looks right...Not like a pieced together junker.

5. Izlomik Supatrucka

Izlomik Supatrucka Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Texas
    not trying to br a smarta55 but if i wanted a aerocab thats what i wooda got.
    i want the old school looking flat top but with leg room. im figuring i will go to a wrecking yard and
    get the boot from a 379. the actual cut and putting back together i dont think is going to be
    a chore i think making the upholstry look factory maybe, but it may end up having to be
    some custom upholstry work as is the unibilt kw......

thanks for the replies guys any other input is greatly appreciated...

6. xTHANATOPSISx

xTHANATOPSISx Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Hutchinson, KS
    The most difficult thing will be rebuilding the bulkheads so the opening is as strong as it should be. If you don't, and you roll it, you'll be in a real bad place. Also, if the bulkhead is weak, you may have rattles or leaks if the skin isn't secured as it should be.

This is definitely something you'd want a professional involved in. After seeing how close to flat my friend's father's truck was I'd hate to see what could have happened if that opening was compromised. It tore the sleeper off and crushed the cab to the top of the seat backs. The CB was right in front of his face rather than up high in the middle of the cab.

7. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    The only supports on the back of the cab is the aluminum ring around the hole. Thats why you get the one out of a unibilt pete. The biggest problem will be in the sleeper area. You'll probably have to gut the sleeper cause there are cabinets in the way. Once you get the hole made up and aluminum ring put in you can mount the cabinets back up.

8. Felixw9

Felixw9 Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2019
    Hey I know it’s an old thread, but I am having the same problem with my flat cab. I have a studio sleeper but the cab is tiny. I know people have done it before I’m just not sure how good of quality they turn out to be. As far as leaks and noise goes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.