Waiting on Diabetes Waiver

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by wimagra, Nov 3, 2010.

1. delta5

delta5 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ohio
    You are confusing the 90 day A1c test with the finger prick test. The a1c shows the "big picture" averages for the last 90 days. You want that index number below 10 for the waiver. The waiver rules say 7 to 10. Your endocrinologist would say 6.5.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wimagra

wimagra Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Decatur, IL.
    Well my husband got the exemption in the mail. Has a company that will hire him, passed the DOT physical and now... the DOT Dr. says he has to have a Bruce II test and an ejection fraction test because of his pacemaker... He is now at the hospital taking the tests... Does it ever end? Saying prayers that he does good....

123456 and delta5 Thank this.
  4. chopper63

chopper63 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2010
    ocala fl
    thats good that he has a company willing to hire him. do you know if that company hires out of florida. i am having a tough time getting hired. went to total trans in ms last monday and thier dot doctor wouldn't even do the physical for me. so all together i had a nica 36 hr bus ride, and to top it all off i got a nice cold out of the ordeal. best of luck to your husband

5. wimagra

wimagra Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Decatur, IL.
    Why would the Dr. not do the physical? Can't remember how long you said you have been driving. Maybe because my husband has 20 years experience, that is before waiting 10 months from the time he went on insulin to when he actually got the exemption. He had 3 companies call, and two of em had never even heard of the exemption. What he did was make copies of the exemption and send it in with every application. The place he had worked for previously, (the guy running the terminal), had told him he would try to get him hired back on and so my husband went to talk to him on a Friday and he was on vacation. My husband went back to talk to him on Monday and he had been transferred. The new guy took his app., when my husband called back to check on it the guy said he would call and check on it... Never heard anything back... You would have thought he would have the decency to at least call with a NO... Maybe try sending a copy of the waiver with the application and best of luck.. The company he got hired for is just local, I will say a prayer for ya...

6. delta5

delta5 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ohio
    This is called "DISCRIMINATION". A lawsuit under the americans with disabilities act is in order here...

7. wimagra

wimagra Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Decatur, IL.
    Hey Delta 5, my husband and I have talked about this quite a bit.. How would you prove it though.. if you were to start a lawsuit?

8. delta5

delta5 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ohio
    You should start out by consulting a lawyer that is familiar with the americans with disabilities act. I would buy a miniature tape recorder too...

9. jasthom1978

jasthom1978 Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2011
    springfield, MO
    Isn't it discrimination if you have do everything you needed to do to drive a truck for a living, complete screening and done the exemption thru the gov't and obtained your cdl? Diabetes is a disability and its not our fault this happen to us.

10. jasthom1978

jasthom1978 Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2011
    springfield, MO
    Discrimination if employers don't hire us do to having diabetes that is.

11. stayfit

stayfit Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Rice Lake, WI
    I know some of the bigger companies will send you home at 115. It has nothing to do with driving. Ir has everything to do with health insurance costs. Why would you bring someone on taht is actually going to use the health insurance?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.