Walmart blows tires, driver was lucky, semi burned.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by snowwy, Dec 20, 2018.

1. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Why? That was a fire on the trailer axle. It would take a LONG time to make its way up to the tractor. Much, much longer than it would take to discharge an extinguisher or two. Unlike in the movies, the entire trailer won't just explode at once...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    20160919_072320.jpg

This was found on a brand new trailer. The nut was missing on both sides, both slack adjusters weren't working.

4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I pulled them when I was at Crete. When you check in with security and drop, it goes on maintenance's list, and they come give it the once over before it gets reloaded. I've pulled out of Beaverdam, WI, Tobyhanna, PA,, Ochaletta(Bartlesville), OK, Sterling, IL and a few more I can't remember. All did them, of course I haven't worked for them for years, so maybe they changed their policy to same money.

5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    well see, there you go......so many drivers have laid claim to hating on cops....(for various personal reasons)

this guy said (the truck driver, from the story's transcript)

i guess at least ONE driver likes cops......

Lepton1 and laaylor Thank this.
  6. chickentanker

chickentanker Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Had that happen to me on brand new compartment gas tanker. Coming back at 4am for reload in the rain,
    hit the brakes for a red light and jackknifed when trailer locked up. Nobody inspected the tank when it was delivered to our yard. Luckily, there was no traffic and no one was next to me on the 4 lane. All the brake components were loose and it cammed over..

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    More than likely it wasn't a mechanical failure as much as a driver one. My guess is overheating the brakes on a hill.

And if it was over heated brakes, it could have been one of those idiots that ride the trailer brake "to save wear on their tractor brakes".

TallJoe Thanks this.
  8. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    how can you smell the trailer brakes from the cab ,driving down the road?

Toothpick1 Thanks this.
  9. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    When you stop you can smell them from inside the cab. You can definitely see the smoke going down the road though. You can also tell there is a drag while going down the road.

Lepton1, allniter and Numb Thank this.
  10. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I was behind a Walmart truck yesterday in Oregon on a grade when he blew a coolant hose. Had to pass him in the hammer lane. The steam was so thick I was afraid he was going to stop and I wouldn't be able to see him and stop in time. What a mess.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. laaylor

laaylor Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    At my DC there is a shop truck that goes around and checks the trailers! Then, they haul them in for repairs and stuff... of course, being a dedicated doesn’t mean I don’t do pre and post trips on the trailers.... I have taken issue trailers for fixes many times.... so, not all of us are irresponsible!

baha and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.