Walmart going full driverless

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Trucking in Tennessee, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    They told us this would not happen. But here it is. And a lot sooner than I imagined.
    ==========================================================================

Walmart is taking the next step with their autonomous truck program. No safety driver. No observer in the passenger seat. They’re going fully driverless.

Walmart has partnered with autonomous startup Gatik for a pilot program to test out driverless trucks. They ran box trucks on a short route between a fulfillment center and a store in Bentonville, Arkansas. Over the past year and a half of the pilot, the vehicles have logged 70,000 miles driving the same two-mile stretch of road back and forth.

According to Gatik’s CEO, they deliberately restricted their pilot program to a small area.

“It’s an approach we refer to as structured autonomy,” Gautam Narang, the CEO of Gatik said according to Engadget. “It’s safe and efficient because it enables us to constrain the challenge of autonomy, thereby heavily over-optimizing our delivery routes and minimizing edge-cases.”

So up until now, the trucks have been driving on incredibly familiar roads, with a safety driver behind the wheel. But starting in the new year all of that will change.

First, that two-mile stretch of road in Bentonville will be travelled by fully autonomous vehicles with no humans aboard. Second, the program will be expanding to Louisiana in order to drive a 20-mile route between Metairie, Louisiana and a Walmart Supercenter in New Orleans. Initially, the new route will have safety drivers.

“This achievement marks a new milestone that signifies the first ever driverless operation carried out on the supply chain middle mile for both Gatik and Walmart,” said a Walmart executive in a statement.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Back and forth on a 2 mile track. GM has been doing that in their plants with automated carts moving parts for decades.
    This is simply a heaver cart. Nothing to write home about.

4. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    You should have read more. That is just the beginning. Next there is a 20 mile stretch they will be testing. It will snowball eventually. Robotics are a way of life and don't sue, call in sick or hopefully wreck trucks.

Cowboyrich and SGT. Super Slab Thank this.
  5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I drive a 2021 Cascadia that is supposed to be Freightliner's next step closer to it's autonomous truck. It can't tell between a shiney strip of asphalt sealer and the lines on the road, it falses at the 'ghost truck' that isn't there more than the 1st generation OnGuard ever did. After driving it for a month, I am more convinced than ever, fully autonomous OTR trucks are way way off.

6. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Twice I had a 2019 FL try to park the truck with forward collision. Once on the long exit ramp going to the rest area on 75 south headed to Atlanta. I was going straight, but it thought I had missed the road. Second time was in Indy going off a ramp. I was in a tight turn and it "saw" a construction barrel and almost stopped me. It will get worse before it gets better.

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I did read more. There is always a next phase right around the corner. Thing is, it never happens. Or if it does it takes 10 years.
    Yes it will happen, but other than a pre programed route it's not going to happen in my lifetime.

8. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Unless you have terminal cancer you are mistaken. If these things make it 20 miles for 6 months without a problem they are going to keep pushing this. Look how many accidents we have right now WITH drivers. They are going to figure it can't be any worse. If anything keeping the speed down will minimize damages. And computers dont get road rage, fall asleep or get distracted.

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Nope. In engineering there is a saying. It takes 20% of the effort to get to 80% working. It takes the remaining 80% effort to get the rest of the 20% working.

It's been a bit over 10 years that companies have been working on automated vehicles. In that 10 years they have gotten to level 3 fairly well. Level 5 though is that last 20% to get it working.
    Also, if you really believe that press release about 6 months, I have some ocean front property in AZ to sell you.

10. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Professional owner-operators don't sue, call in sick or wreck trucks. Well, most of them don't...
    Also with professional truck driver not only these companies get a driver, but also a light-duty mechanic and a security guard, and in some cases a guy who loads and unloads cargo. How many robots is going to replace a professional driver? These news is made for investors, so they don't vote with their feet for Amazon (employing owner-operators mostly by the way). Walmart is playing catch up game with Amazon now (they pushing Walmart marketplace now too). :)

11. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Trains are stuck on a rail, and they still have drivers. I'm not holding my breath. It will happen one day, but it's not just about the trucks, it's about the infrastructure. DC's will need to be redesigned. Load securement will need to be redesigned. The roads will need something better embedded in them that the trucks can follow. Etc. Plus, as these things start cutting their teeth, I expect many a lawsuit will shut most of these companies down. Point being, it's just now getting to that. It's just now getting to the "hard part".

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.