Walmart wants to send a safety background and employment verification letter????

Discussion in 'Wal-Mart' started by truckdriver00, Aug 16, 2018.

1. truckdriver00

truckdriver00 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2018
    I did an online application and recently did the driving test and passed the dot medical for Walmart. They did a conditional offer pending a background check. Walmart is told me they will send a verification form to my current employer for safety background and employment verification? They are saying they have 30 days to fill it out and send it back to Walmart.

My issue is I don't want my current employer to know I am leaving until I actually have a new job. I don't want to get fired just because I am looking at another opportunity.

Walmart says if I don't let them send the letter I will be disqualified from the job.

Anyone else went through this???? There are other ways to verify employment and they can check my driving record.

Thoughts appreciated...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It does not matter at this point.

At some point you are exposed when you move to attack. You can expect to take in flak on the way in to your new job.

Assuming your BG Stuff has nothing on it and you are clean, you pretty much are moving into your next job relatively soon. They might fire you today if they found out you are out of here. Fine so be it, just more time to make ready for the new work. You already got a conditional offer.

Coover Thanks this.
  4. MilkyJay

MilkyJay Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Everywhere you want to be
    Im not a lawyer but being fired for looking for a new job sounds like wrongful termination or something. I doubt you will be terminated because of that.

stwik, 06driver, Coover and 2 others Thank this.
  5. 9691Guido

9691Guido Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2018
    If your current employer fires you for trying to advance your career, it means one thing only, you should've never worked there.

stwik, MazelTruck, MilkyJay and 5 others Thank this.
  6. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    How's the safety and background going to come back? You clean?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    No, they are required by FMCSA regulation to contact your prior employer in writing, and your prior employer must respond. There is more to it than just verifying you work somewhere, they are required to ask about your safety history and drug testing results. It is their discretion to require this before allowing you to come to orientation or actually employing you. The FMCSA does allow motor carriers 30 days from when your employment begins to complete this investigation.

Many of the megas simply don't do this until you are at orientation -which is why so many get sent home, because things are not like they say they are. Remember, you do not have a job until they have qualified you. Given how big of a target for lawsuits WalMart is they are using an abundance of caution by fully verifying your background before actually employing you.

joshuapowell61, DSK333, stwik and 2 others Thank this.
  8. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Nailed it...right on!!

9. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    As long as you didn't lie on your application, You're fine.

Pretty straightforward, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In other words they got your butt sitting in the hotseat at orientation after you left the previous job. Nice.

11. Tolmie

Tolmie Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Trucking is at will employment.

MilkyJay and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.