Wannabe heading to crowder

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by jshepp, Feb 20, 2009.

1. jshepp

jshepp Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2009
    missouri
    Well folks,
    I've gotten everything ready will be staying in a hotel Sunday night then off to school first thing Monday morning.

From here on out I'll be doing all my posts here to update you on the progress of my journey. Looking forward to getting the wheels moving.

Bye for now I havevmuch to get done not only for the school, but to also resolve things here at home to ease the strain on my wife & family. I won't have a computer with me but will see what I can do to gain access to the web to ba able to post.

BYE & best of luck to you all & be safe.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kmfishing

kmfishing Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Tx
    I look forward to your posts and good luck to you.

4. jshepp

jshepp Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2009
    missouri
    hello there to everyone

WOW, where do I start. It's Saturday & the first week is over. been a crazy week so far. Lots of time driving which I really appreciate since I'm more of a hands on type of person. Lots of pretrip, which ipretty much got down minus some fine tuning. after class is over I go right back to the trucks & practice pretrips before going to the chow hall for dinner. My take on pretrip is you better has it down by end of the first week because the beginnig of week 2 you start in cab inspections. we.

heres a breakdown of week 1

Monday- paper work, intro, familarize with trucks. then off to doctors for piss test to end day.homework reading

Tuesday-class for 1-2 hours, pretrip,pretrip,pretrip. driving practice upshifting wow its a long way down to the ground. what ever you do don't hit the barrels you will have to fill out an accident report. home work reading

wednesday-classroom for 1-2 hours. log intro. then more pretrip,pretrip,pretrip. then driving upshifting, then intro into transition of high end then back down again,over & over again. at end of day park trucks & un-couple.back to class for logs & review of day. more homework. For me, back to pretrip before dinner

Thursday-classroom on logs. then pretrip,pretrip,pretrip. hook up trailers then off to driving figure eights, upshifting - downshifting over & over. then manuvering cones referred to as serpentine.then straight backing.the first barrels knocked over today by 1 student. thankgod it wasn't me !!!!!! LMAO Back to class to fill out logs & end day. For me, back to pretrip before dinner.Homework reading & practice log

Friday-classroom review logs. then off to vehicles recouple trailers & pre-trip. WENT FOR FIRST ROAD TRIP WOW!!!!!!.....thats all I can say. for me being this my first time in a big-rig. 5 day latter driving down public roads, lets just say.... for me the intimidation factor kicked in. theres alot morre to focus on then just upshifting & downshifting,LIGHTS,ROAD SIGNS,VEHICLES BEHIND VEHICLES COMING AT YOU, NOT TO MENTION YOUR DRILL SARGEANT SITTING NEXT TO YOU WATCHING YOUR EVERY MOVE. LMAO What a great experience as nerve wrecking as it was. Now with all said not to mention the big sigh of relief. the instructor was great coaching you through the times when shifting didnt go as planned. I was definitely wearing my dunce cap severall times. & what ever you do don't stop the truck. then back to driving figure eights at the course. WOW, again you have no idea how much easier this became after being on that road trip. Now i'm trying to shift a little easier. .more serpentines, straight backing. also appears another set of barrels knocked over. ONCE AGAIN, thank god it wasnt me. then parked trucks. back to class for review of day & logout. homework reading & practice log trip. for me, back to pretrip,then dinnner & then long trip home to see wife for week end.

RECAP, folks this course is intense & very detail oriented. you have to be truly dedicated to this. all i can say for now is pretrip preptrip & more pretrip. you have to, because they are looking to insure you can identify the the differnt parts & systems of both truck & trailer & be able to identify what you are looking for as to what could be wrong with each. not to mention in the language that they want to hear it in. LMAO & if your not sure about anything dont be afraid to ask no matter how stupid you may think it is,because it just might be the tidbit of info that helps to make it all !!!CLICK!!!

gotta go for now, gotta go do laundry, read, practice trip log & more pretrip,pretrip,pretrip BYE for now

5. jshepp

jshepp Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2009
    missouri
    Guys this will be my last post here i will post at trucking schools for now on, for guys searching for this type of info to be able to find it easier than searching individual trucking co blogs

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.