want to be a truck driver need advice

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by cr62269, Sep 17, 2013.

1. cr62269

cr62269 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Belleville, IL
    hello, Im trying to become a truck driver and i have an agent suggesting USA Trucking to me. the training program looks great. They promise UP TO $36000 in your first year. I will need $30,000 to maintain my current standard of living (maybe less but not much). I've been reading forums and reviews and I am hearing some very negative things about working for USA trucking. The one that concerns me is that former USA truck drivers are saying they only made $200 or $300 a week. That is tragic if it is true. Is it? I understand that you don't make much while you are training (after school) but what about when you have been with the company for a couple months or longer. Do the drivers get enough miles to make a living? I'm looking at going over the road and I was hoping for around 2400 miles a week (at least)

thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SweetDaddy2

SweetDaddy2 Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2013
    America Communist Republic
    With all due respect I can promise you an elephant can hang over the side of a cliff a use its tail to hold onto a twig branch but does tht mean the elephant can really don it

4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    a point of advice. when somebody says UP to $36,000. They mean anywhere from $0 - $36,000

5. falcon241073

falcon241073 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Germantown, TN
    I made $34, 000 my first year solo at usa. And I didnt get the $600 a week gurantee for 2months like yhey new guys do now. There are good, bad, and great weeks. It depends on your hustle and your DM. Good luck.

Oh and don't believe half stuff you read or hear. Good or bad. Especially the bad.

J_FROG and cr62269 Thank this.
  6. capper17

capper17 Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Stuart, IA
    Well I can't yet speak from experience from a drivers perspective, I can pass on some sound advice that I have received while researching my decision to enter the industry. First, decide what kinda of hauling you want to for the most part. Second, put in the time and due diligence to research a lot of different companies while understanding that no company will have a perfect reputation, especially on the internet, but try and weed out fact from fiction the best you can. Third, when considering pay look at what the companies/recruiters are advertising and take that as a best case scenario and then decide if you can survive comfortably on 75% of that figure to be safe and realistic. Finally, after all that is said and done go with the company that you feel will be the best fit for "you" and not necessarily the best one for someone else. Due your year, pay your dues, then re-evaluate as needed.

blairandgretchen and cr62269 Thank this.
  7. cr62269

cr62269 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Belleville, IL
    Thanks, I'm sitting hear waiting for them to call me back. I like the training I'm going to get. I cannot survive on 2 or 3 hundred a week, but i can survive on 5. I want to go over the road. I currently work retail as an assistant manager. I don't want to do that anymore and I am really looking forward to being an over the road truck driver. I hope it works out and I hope I get miles. I will be signing a one year contract and if i'm stuck there for a year and can't make any money it will not be good for me financially.

8. Muleman55

Muleman55 Medium Load Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Hot Springs,AR
    I suggest you look at a different career. This gets crazier every year. The new generation of drivers are careless, bad attitudes and a lot of thugs and majority poorly trained.

cr62269 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  9. cr62269

cr62269 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Belleville, IL
    Driver Solutions called me back. USA has put some sort of hold on hiring. A few of the current students are getting in but some will have to be told they have to wait.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Then forget them. Research other companies.
    You'll fare better if you get your own CDL , the $3k investment is worth it. Look at Schneider, they pay u back for your training after a year, rather than give you training and hold it over you.
    Check Prime. Stay away from lease purchase.
    Good luck.
    I made $34k my first year at .32 CPM running all I could, averaged 2900 miles. (10 years ago now). Good luck.

cr62269 and fr8te_sh8ker Thank this.
  11. DGStrong71

DGStrong71 Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2013
    70° west
    I believe USA has a problem with a lack of trainers and available trucks right now. It would probably be pointless to bring in more students than they can train or have available trucks for.

cr62269 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.