Want to relocate Vs. Must live in hiring area

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by VIDEODROME, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No, didn't look for a job here. Plenty of jobs available though for local, regional, OTR. Any trucker moving here can be at work as soon as they get an address established and cdl transferred to Nevada. DMV told me just need an eye test to transfer cdl. Of course a Hazmat endorsement must be done again.
    Plenty of tanker jobs here plus Estes Express is hiring for line haul and some other outfits for line haul. Lots of local stuff dealing with the new Interstate 11 being built. It will run from Mexico to Canada. It's running through Las Vegas.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in

Thanks.

Most conventional wisdom I hear is get a new job before quitting a job.

Except its awkward in this long distance moving plan. So, Im thinking of just moving first as well.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Make your move; trucking jobs are plentiful almost anywhere.

CT-Driver860 and VIDEODROME Thank this.
  5. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    Carolinas have a lot of jobs and mild winters and not quite as hot as south Florida.

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  6. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    I don't think it's that far-fetched to find an out of state job without a residence there. Especially in the trucking world. Just make an above average application and put a note in there that you are trying to relocate. Then, the most important part, is to call within a few days and get a hold of a manager or someone who deals with hiring, explain the situation. Moving for a job is not that difficult. You can easily just get an extended stay hotel until you find a reasonable place to rent. The biggest issue would be allowing you to use an out of state CDL (if it's a local carrier) before you get a residence in state.

I've landed a local job hundreds of miles away by simply filling out an app and getting a hold of the hiring manager to let him know my intention of moving to their city. However, this was still in the same state, so admittedly it was much easier and simple.

Now if your looking for OTR or regional, those companies will have large hiring areas. I live in Florida and work for a company out of Missouri that runs all 48 and Canada.

7. VIDEODROME

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Yeah that was something else I wondered about. Seems I've heard stories that companies can be weirdly finicky about you having a license in the hiring area you apply for.

Woodys Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Your cdl address has to match your domicile address is the catch. How many companies actually check that? Who nows?

9. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    I think the in-state CDL thing is only for local gigs. Never heard of a regional or OTR gig wanting your license to be from a specific state. Now, I thought the local gigs required it for insurance reasons, as maybe they only have authority for intrastate commerce. But then I remember my last local job required and in-state license even though they had terminals in every state on the east coast? And they would also let you transfer terminals after a year of service. Which THEN got me wondering if the major LTL's require an in-state license for the area you run out of?

10. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    My friend went through this exact same thing a couple of years ago. The only thing different was he was only moving in-state. From the east side of Alabama to Mobile. He had relatives who lived in the area and planned to stay with them until he got himself established. He also wanted to do the tanker thing, preferably local.

Virtually every company he talked to said, "when you get moved here, come talk to us." He stayed with his (at the time, current) employer until he was ready to move. Used his last week of vacation to get everything taken care of, including new driver's license showing his relatives address and within a week, had himself a tanker job lined up. He put his 2 week notice in at our employer and made the change.

Bottom line, yes, most of the ones in the Mobile area want you to be in the area before they will hire you.

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  11. VIDEODROME

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Really appreciate this feedback.

Do you know the name of the company your friend hired on with? Do they still like it there?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.