Want to relocate Vs. Must live in hiring area

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by VIDEODROME, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Dixiegypsy

Dixiegypsy Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Sign on with a good company. Live in the truck and never go back. I haven't even been to the address on my license in five years. My company let's me take my home time anywhere. One month it's skiing in Colorado the next it's nude beach in Miami. Screw mobile Alabama has the worst truck stops in the country.

tscottme and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    He ended up at Martin Transport (the white Macks, not the bluebirds). He was home for his 10 break virtually every day, not more than every 3rd day. Everything they did was out and back.

However, he only lasted there for 6 months. He wanted to try pulling a tank before he retired and that's what he did. I'm not gonna say he was real smart, but he gave them a 2 week notice and called it a career the day he turned 63 in December. Then he went off the deep end and moved to California.

We worked together for 8 years with a company I'm still employed with and talked frequently. He was certainly set in his ways, as most drivers are who have been doing it 20 or more years. It was a struggle for him with Martin. There were a boatload of issues he complained about. Most of them because he was set in his ways. Since you don't have a great deal of experience, you might be happy there.

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Yes they would. Good places to live and work are where 2 or more interstate highways intersect. That usually signals lots of shipping and/or manufacturing.

I would suggest you research trucking companies until you find one that seems to be especially good for drivers. Then look at where they have terminals and their hiring areas. Then look at cities in that area and see if you can be happy there. It's a lot to risk deciding to do this job, find a company, and a place to live all at the same time. If you get a CDL where you live, you can do the job to see if it fits you. It doesn't fit everyone. Most 1st year drivers don't last the full year before they quit. This could be avoided with serious thinking about how you do spending many hours alone and dealing with stress due to traffic. Many newbies seem to rush into this job with little preparation and high expectations. The bad companies in this industry will abuse you and underpay you and put you in bad situations that make it easy to get tickets and accidents on your record, which makes it hard to work anyplace better.

5. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Well, I quit and drove down to Mobile staying with relatives temporarily.

I have a phone interview with PTI tomorrow to run southern regional.

Right after I set that up, Trimac called me just to ask basic questions about my driver history. I'm not sure I have enough experience to get in a tanker outfit. Superior Carrier turned me down.

I think if I was getting by with Veriha, I could handle PTI. Will see how their interview goes tomorrow.

88 Alpha and gentleroger Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    PTI; is that Paschall Truck Lines?
    I bet Schneider Bulk will hire you; give it a try.

7. VIDEODROME

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Paper Transport Inc. offered me a job and I accepted it. They remind me of Veriha except bigger and it will be Southern Regional with maybe a few things going to Pennsylvania.

I think this could be a good position for me to get back into a Road Truck after over a year of being a Yard Jockey while rolling without so much <edited> snow while settling into the Southeast Region.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    Reason for edit: skirting the profanity filter
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Now you, at least, have good weather year round and probably much less cost of living.

Reason for edit: Quote edited
  9. VIDEODROME

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Yeah I came down and my parents said I could use their place as my residence. I could live very cheap and bank some money or decide to get a Studio Apartment in town later on. At least I have no rush to sign an apartment lease and I can switch my license to my parents' address in the mean time. I can see how my budget looks and get a modest place of my own. I get along okay with my parents, but after a while I know I'll want a separate place lol.

But yeah, the Wisconsin/Midwest snow was a pain and I spent last winter in a mess trudging through the <edited> with tires chains on a Yard Goat. Also even when I was in a Veriha road truck, they gave me Super Single tires and I wasted time spinning on ice when trying to drop n' hook because Wisconsin Warehouses quit salting and plowing by February. Only really big companies like Walmart or Costco kept up with the snow.

Reason for edit: skirting the profanity filter
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I moved 1500 miles on two words. "I do" and two hours at the Revenuer and Tax division sealed the deal with Arkansas. I had traveled all around the USA in a big truck and will continue to do so for a while at that time. The actual moving was 7 days clothes, money from one bank to another electronically and a demand to the Maryland Voter Registration to drop my name from that roll of Republican. Eventually I sent the same demand to Arkansas to drop that party all together and be strictly independent with none of the party BS.

Moving to Arkansas from Maryland based on those two words was some of the easiest tasks I have ever done. Take the brief case containing my personal papers etc and out into another truck and go on down the road, leaving the rest at the house after the honeymoon which itself was very short by necessity.

I had good work in Maryland up to that time, when a company called Ronnie Dowdy told me to come here in the South and see about getting on with the Reefer work to the western states, it was a life changing opportunity. Without these fine people in that company I would have had no future at all such as it is.

Moving to where the job is very easy. It's the actual decision to commit to and discard the excess minutia of your previous failed economic life that is hard.

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  11. CT-Driver860

CT-Driver860 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Richmond, VA

Currently looking at PTI how is it going for you? If you’re there can you tell me if the Trucks are governed & to what? They advertise the new freightliners trucks is that likely? And paper is this heavy loads I’ve pulled some paper rolls not sure if this would be the same thing
    Thanks in advance

Also how long was orientation PM if u prefer

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.