Want to relocate Vs. Must live in hiring area

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by VIDEODROME, Sep 23, 2018.

1. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Orientation was almost a week. Driving test, physical, boring videos. Might depend on experience.

I'm only in my first week, so still deciding what I think. Major customer is Georgia Pacific paper / cardboard.

I got an older Volvo, but told I will be switched to another truck soon.

CT-Driver860 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CT-Driver860

CT-Driver860 Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks I’ll keeping following the three in the exact same position. Moving down from CT so checking out all the NC carriers CPM seems to be low down here but I like most companies offer extra pay for Up north and NYC that’s a breeze for me!

4. VIDEODROME

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I'm doing a 2 stop load to Sam's Clubs in North Carolina. Fortunately, I didn't wind up in bad weather.

My load is from Jacksonville, FL Georgia Pacific. The paper product looked like household stuff or paper towels, or paper plates, so not all paper related loads will be super heavy giant paper rolls.

As for my truck, it's leftover from the previous driver on my run, so I think having me run it helps to get it picked up until it can be turned in to the Jacksonville yard. I've been there a few times and I was the only driver with a Volvo so I think they're barely in the fleet and being phased out. It's mostly Freightliners and a few Kenworths.

Since I'm out of Mobile, AL there are 2 halves to my job regionally. There is the Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas half where I feel like I'm more in the boonies and not so much on the Interstate and on more US or State routes with some annoying turns in tiny towns. I'm currently the other way going up and down 95 between Jacksonville, FL and Georgia, SC, and NC doing Sam's Club paper loads and non-paper backhauls back to Jacksonville.

Dispatch seems a little wishful thinking, but today I told them early on they over Preplanned me and I didn't have enought time on my 70 and my hours weren't recapping. The key thing is I told them early and they seem okay with it and ready to adjust. My dispatcher is often tossing about 4 Preplanned dispatches at a time. If things run steady without problems it can be done, but I feel like if I'm delayed anywhere it will create a mess.

I suppose for now, PTI seems okay for my situation moving south and getting out of being a Yard Jockey. I had the impression that many did not take my Yard Truck experience very seriously. I also don't have strong profiency with Manual mostly from lack of seat time, so PTI having mostly automatics was helpful for that.

Also, this has been good for me after a year of Yard Truck not shifting manual and I'm also getting used to backing up Sleeper Cabs again. I was spoiled with the Yard Goat being so short and being able to take sharp turns.

For this area, I was curious about Tanker and both Trimac and Superior turned me down. It might be good that I'm getting experience now with PTI and I could try them again later.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  5. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    Have you talked to Service Transport, in Saraland? They are advertising on Indeed.com and it sounds like they'll consider less experienced drivers. There are a couple of tanker outfits on hwy 43. You're in a good area for tankers. I commute from Mississippi to work out of Axis, AL.

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  6. CT-Driver860

Aug 28, 2018
    Richmond, VA
    Alright thanks @VIDEODROME I will consider the Raleigh, NC position and I actually thought about what you said when you mentioned GP I was assuming they ran for IP (international paper, now that #### is heavy!!!) but good to know yea GP has it all much like KimbClark

I prefer companies that don’t have you calling them for your next load ! Hopefully NC will be ran as good as AL seems

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  7. CT-Driver860

Aug 28, 2018
    Richmond, VA
    What was their truck speed set to?

8. VIDEODROME

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.