Want to start my own trucking business

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Aproton, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Aproton

Aproton Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2019
    Hello All,

I am an owner operator and wish to start my own trucking business, get loads hire owner operators and let them do the hauling for their fees.

Can anyone please let me know how to get my foot in ? Where to start from ?

***How to get loads ?
    Awaiting your response friends

Many thanks
    AP

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Be a professional. Be so good the folks you haul for want to give you more all the time. Do it for steady, profitable rates, stand firm. Customers will come and go. You make the rules of the game.

Have plenty of money for operating. Never need quick pay, factoring, fuel advance, or any other form other than you agree on a price, you do the load, then the customer pays the full amount in the time frame as agreed. No screwing around.

If you will hire owner operators will they have their own trailers? Why will they come work for you? You need a better option than they have now. You will need to float all the large costs while waiting to be paid. Fuel, insurance, plates, to name a few. These drivers need to be as good of a driver as you. Show up on time for pickup and delivery. Don't be a dick at customers. No damage to product in transit. Again: no screwing around. You're a professional. You only hire professional workers. You only deal with businesses who are willing to pay a steady premium for excellent service.

You can start getting loads by signing up for a load board. Load link is the one to have in Canada. It is expensive, but worth the money in my opinion. You can eventually find your own customers directly. You should always be building a list of possible targets of customers where you may work directly with in your area. Learn to sell yourself with brokers and eventually move on to direct customers if necessary. In my case they find me.... :/ I guess that is to be expected if you're as good as I am. ;)

4. Aproton

Aproton Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2019
    Hello,

Many thanks for your rwply.

I wish to get in touch with you to discuss further. How can I so that ?

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Control your temper is number one.

Be nice is the opposite of rule number one. If you are angry enough to burn potentially the one bridge keeping you in bread and butter count to 10.

7. HighwaySuperTramp

HighwaySuperTramp Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Depends on what you mean. Do you want to be a load broker? Or a true trucking company?

Cause if its the latter you're halfway there my fine financially fickle friend. Just need to hire more or buy more equipment.

8. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Also either learn a new language or hire someone who speaks another. What goes for regular companies applies to all companies now. *sigh*

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.