Want to stay home and make more money

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by snowwy, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    I gave up a cushy 8-hours-a-day training position to go back out on the road full time.

For most real truckers, it's not about the money, it's about life on the open road.

Vic Firth and TripleSix Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Medium Load Member

Dec 27, 2017
    You ever been camping?

4. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Why would I want to work at Walmart. Got a six percent match on my 401k good insurance that’s fairly inexpensive a company paid iPhone 8, work about 10 hours a day Monday through Friday, bring in 60k a year and park my truck five minutes from home.

Wally World ain’t gonna beat that and neither is slinging burgers at McDonald’s.

If your not happy with your situation change it. The best thing about having a cdl is new jobs are easy to get you just gotta pick one you like.

Dan.S, Fold_Moiler and Just passing by Thank this.
  5. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Call me when McDonald's is paying more.

6. Jagsfan

Jagsfan Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Panama City, Fl
    Long time Walmart employees got a slap in the face. Already make 11 an hr and all they get is a bonus. No raise.

rpad139 Thanks this.
  7. rpad139

rpad139 Heavy Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca
    Good time to ask. What do you all think about this economy?

Everyone says we are due for a recession. I figure we might have a recession but nothing compared to 2008.

Im thinking about buying real estate right now but everyone says to wait because rates are going up and home values will decrease?

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Yep. Change jobs. Easy to get. And starting off at the bottom of the barrel in pay over and over. Which is equivalent to walmart. And the majority don't offer bennies.

My bro in law hauls oil. Has one of the better paying jobs but took a cut in pay. He's not much better off then me now pay wise. Been there 10 years. Has expensive insurance. Not sure about vacation. No retirement. His company now sends him to NM occassionaly. Just to keep the drivers busy. Not enough work anymore for everyone to stay home. But at least their hours are decent. Less then 11.

All other tanker companies I've talked too. Are 12 - 14 hour days. The pay and the hours aren't worth it.

Look at the job boards. Mostly OTR. And what's local. Don't pay any better then walmart.

Change jobs. It's more like considering other careers. Most trucking companies. Aren't worth a crap to work for.

9. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    If you are close to a MILS yard, they pay $24.00/hour for local jobs. Moss Point MS, Collierville TN, Lakeland FL, and somewhere in the greater Houston, TX.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    They are around my house, they are offering $11.50 starting with education benefits.

11. timd1978

timd1978 Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Lowell, AR
    :laughing3: A lot of us are "a little past our prime" to be any good at raking in customers

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.