Wanting to Drive again

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MKovach, Apr 24, 2018.

1. MKovach

MKovach Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2018
    Hello, new to this forum. Sorry for the long rant. I have had my CDL A since 2004. I owned a small trucking company for 5 years. I then drove for a nursery hauling trees and equipment. Moved into Heavy Towing and recovery, and then got a better offer for a heavy haul job. On my down time, I would pull tankers, grain and corn. Never "OTR" but out for a couple days at a time here and there. Now, in June of 2014 I got a DWI in NJ. I was in my personal vehicle. Blew a 0.05 (non-CDL would be legal to blow at 0.08). Lost my license for 90 days and CDL for a year. Have driven a side dump on job sites since then, but thats about it. I never reinstated my CDL and am in the process of doing that now and retesting. I am past the 3 year mark with my DWI and have no violations since. My driving history is also clean other than that. I am wanting a OTR Flatbed job. I am no spring chicken (48), but am very motivated and eager to work. I now live in Iowa. I have applied to a few companies, but a couple declined me and gave me the impression that they have so many young applicants they don't need an old man. Also looking for a family and pet friendly company. I have never had an "At Fault" accident either (POV or Commercial Vehicle). Don't want to be looked at as a "Newbie" as I was a good driver and load handler, not to sound concieded. Any insight for me? Appriciate any thoughts or advice.
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    I sometimes think I would like another tour of the country like I had way back, except the regulations are a bit thicker in some spots, Only used electronic logs back on a stint with a food service co. It is not the same game as it was a decade ago.

Streetroddreams Thanks this.
  4. ralphbohm

ralphbohm Light Load Member

May 6, 2014
    48 had better NOT be old; I'm 60 and have been offered to work for several companies.
    Sorry to hear that your one indiscretion is marking you. I don't know who you may contact bht just thought I'd offer my condolences. I wish you luck. Just keep persevering and let us know not if but when, you're back out here.

MKovach Thanks this.
  5. MKovach

MKovach Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2018
    Thank, I have had someone contact me about driving for his smaller fleet since I posted this. Just gets frustrating. A DWI does not make you a bad person, or a drunk but it seems you become a criminal after one. I'm sure half of the insurance underwritters have their share of DWI's too.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try Senn Freight Lines.

7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    In all honesty 3 years removed? I see no issues getting a job. There are carriers so desperate for drivers they are bending rules like crazy. Apply apply apply!

8. MKovach

MKovach Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2018
    I actually got more satisfaction today with 3 phone calls then I have gotten in 3 weeks. I applied all over the place and had more calls, text and emails then I could handle. Today I spoke with Boyd, Transport America and Tantara. So far I'm thinking Tantara. Spoke with Werner 2 weeks ago and things sounded good, now I can't get the recruiter to answer an email or return a call to save my life. Their loss, not mine. Any thoughts on the 3 companies I talked to today?
    Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.