Wanting To Get Into Heavy Haul

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by YeaImRJ, Feb 12, 2019.

1. YeaImRJ

YeaImRJ Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I’m thinking about getting into heavy haul. Are there any books or sources that would cover it for a newbie as far as thing like equipment, permits, laws, etc? The forum topics seemed kind of specific.

ichudov Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Look on utube... some nitwit name surge something....

“Heavy haul trucking” I think is his channel......

Here it is.....

Best of luck.

YeaImRJ Thanks this.
  4. YeaImRJ

YeaImRJ Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Thanks! Looking for a new challenge but want to be well prepared

5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Most don’t think to much of him ......

Me included , but he’s putting it all out there.

Ridlingdj, Humblepie, stwik and 3 others Thank this.
  6. snowman_w900

snowman_w900 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2010
    You a company driver or O/O?

SAR and Razororange Thank this.
  7. YeaImRJ

YeaImRJ Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I’ll listen to anyone if he has information I can use & O/O for about 6 months.

8. drumchaos

drumchaos Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    Not sure if you’re in their highring area but RE West has a heavy haul division. I just started training there this week for their Van division. I’ll post a link to a thread about them below.

@A.cam started there as well and is on the heavy haul division and just left out with his trainer. He may be able to help.

R.E. West

9. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    I’ve been heavy hauling about 30 years and I learned something new almost every day! I’ve had been hauling farm machinery then least on to lone star back in the day when it was mostly owner operators the good thing was there was a lot of old hands there that could sure show you the ropes,one thing I know when in doubt put more chains on go slow and if you can run with somebody that knows what they’re doing or it’s been around a long time it’s a real helper but don’t be afraid to ask questions or for help! I saw a guy the other day at Segovia had a 65,000 pound loader on with four chains and no lock in the middle or chains in the middle. That’s a little scary plus it’s an out of service ! Also the rates are all over the place 70,000 pound load I bid on at eight bucks a mile this other guy did it for five bucks a mile so you have that also! If you run west you’ve got to get your big bucks going west because the stuff coming back is cheap if you’re in the Midwest you got to get your money going south because going back north is cheap. You just really got a know what areas are good and not so good just like any other freight!
    Hope everything works out and God bless if you need any other help I’d be glad to help not that I know a whole lot But been around awhile.

10. YeaImRJ

YeaImRJ Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Thanks! Gonna try to take it slow & progress up to that level. Trying out step deck now & going to move on from there.

11. Red Viking

Red Viking Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2017
    I was going to ask the same question this morning. I currently heavy haul steel outta the midwest. Been really thinking hard about doing the over size. Are you still with lone star? As of right now. I have my own trailer. Is this something I want to wait to buy my own. Or can you still make money leasing a trailer? Just wondering if you had a couple companies I should call outta the michigan midwest area..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.