Wanting to start hauling sand,rock, and gravel any advice on how to get started

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Voltman, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Voltman

Voltman Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Looking at buying a dump truck to start hauling locally. I have 7 years with a cl A CDL from working for a local utility. Any advice on how to get started. As far as getting business, working for a quarry, or contracting. Thanks.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Not sure of your location but here in NE AR the quarry rates are a joke. When the frac sand hauling was good we made a little money. It dried up overnite it seemed. I have sold off my triaxles with drivers it was a loss every week. Driving one truck yourself you can make a living as long as your expectations aren't high lol. Also save from the good times they wont last.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. knightrider77

knightrider77 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2014
    columbus oh.
    Just call around to other company's and tell them what kinda truck you got and your kinda stuck with what they pay your not gonna get a big acount with one truck but can make decent money thru a company that has the work might want to put asphalt on that list to its a lot of work scrapin the dam gate every load but it pays better also a lot of waitin around some pay hourly some pay tonage also if you didn't know your gonna have to grease your truck every 2 weeks cause all the dirt and sand will cauuse problems maintnace will eat you up if ya don't stay on it and it quadruples with a dump truck cause your always heavy like wore out said. Save for the bad times cause its a hit and miss deal

5. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    a lot of work scraping the tailgate when hauling asphalt? You're not using enough EFRA (Diesel)! Asphalt's awesome, one of my favorite things to haul.

6. aktundratugger

aktundratugger Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    up on the hill, Ak
    I must admit I just can't get enough of that asphalt in a season, love it! End dump or belly.

7. o2bnkc

o2bnkc Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Carson City, Nevada
    I like playing in the dirt. Been doing it since 1998. I love sleeping in my own bed every night.

Badmon Thanks this.
  8. motor793

motor793 Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2019
    How much does asphalt,gravel, sand, top soil pay per ton

9. motor793

motor793 Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2019
    How much asphalt pays in nevada

10. Sumtinlidat

Sumtinlidat Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Las Vegas? Not much. 65-75$ an hour for a 10 wheeler an end dump. You won’t be able to bill direct to any of the bigger asphalt companies. And any of the smaller outfits still use a broker so they don’t have to write multiple checks/invoices

11. f650dump

f650dump Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2019
    Hi. I'm new in Las Vegas and i have 5 yard dump truck. How to find a work? Anybody please help.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.