Wanting to use a stick instead of auto

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Skootlez, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Eggroll'n Trucker

Eggroll'n Trucker Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2018
    One of the most common recruiter questions asked when I was in CDL school is "Do you have standard or automatic trucks? ". Most responded that they are almost all automatics due to it being more fuel efficient which helps their bottom line expense.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Skootlez

Skootlez Light Load Member

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Some veg good advice so far. Didn’t mean to start a war though . I can handle the autos in pretty much every situation. I’m light as a feather in docks, downhill and everything in between. I saw earlier where one of you mentioned it all came back as soon as you got in, and I think really the same would be for me.

Either way, I appreciate the replies guys.

4. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Anyone notice how the chain up lights come on for next to nothing on the road way more nowadays.. Am I the only one who think automated transmissions are the main reason why

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    We’re buying this automatic crap too, unfortunately. God forbid we don’t bend over backwards to accommodate the non-drivers of the world. :rolleyes:

At least I can still shift gears in my pickup. :cool:

Rollr4872, Shaggy and Streetroddreams Thank this.
  6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I've only had 2 test drives. The last one the guy said "I don't care if it grinds a little, every truck drives different and it takes a little while to get used to."
    (I didn't grind them, btw)

It's good advice.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Glad you think that is 100% for sure. And yes for most drivers today. The auto's do get better MPG. But put someone in the same truck. But geared right, and driven the way it should be. And you will see the Auto is not the best for MPG.
    EVen in the 80's, we were getting 6 MPG loaded most of the time average. This was in cabovers and trucks that had no ideal what Stream lined was. Shoot the Last Cabover Peterbiltl made. Was the closest thing to Streamlined.
    Auto trans are again for the person that has not learned to shift the manuals. Yes some people like the autos that can shift. Nothing wrong with anyone wanting one over the other.
    But if it were not for Fleets repairing manuals so often. There would not as many autos out there.

I do feel we will be seeing trucks without a trans soon. These new trucks coming on the market. Will be driven by motors. And then theres no reason for a transmission to start with.

Again my 1.5 cents worth. And Yes I was wrong one time. :D

Bean Jr. and Jwhis Thank this.
  8. phantom 310

phantom 310 Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2017
    Find someone with an old ford with the granny four speed and float the gears in heavy traffic all day. Same difference.

Bean Jr. and Streetroddreams Thank this.
  9. phantom 310

phantom 310 Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2017
    Why they don't make a truck that's diesel over electric like locomotives are is beyond me. It would probably get 20 mpg and climb a mountain at any speed you want with no problem. Just building a smaller version with the existing Cummins, Detroit or whatever. Be hard to bog down.

intrepidor Thanks this.
  10. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Visit one of the truck rental places and rent a day cab for a day or two. They don’t care what you’re using it for.

11. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I learned to drive a manual at my current job.

Drove around the block a few times.

“Alright you can get down the road that’ll work” lolol

I’m good at it now, took about two weeks to really click and be smooth with it. I learned on a smooth bore so to this day driving a manual without surge is a little odd.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.