WARNING: Heyl Truck Lines

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by pypfm, Dec 2, 2020.

1. pypfm

pypfm Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2019
    This is a warning for all drivers considering working for Heyl Truck Lines. This will be a bit long (there is also a TL;DR at the bottom of this post)

So... I applied with Heyl about 10 days ago, went through submitting all the paperwork, etc, and was slated to go to orientation in Zephyrillis, FL. Heyl arranged for a rental car for me to drive down there and a hotel room.

On Monday, on my way driving down to Zephyrillis, at 4:30 PM, I get a phone call from my recruiter at Heyl, saying that there are some discrepancies on my long form physical and that they need my doctor's office to fax them a copy. They also say that I may need to take a physical with their doctor when I get down there. (Now, on that note - One of the reasons that I applied with Heyl is that they would accept my current medical card - no company physical. And, the reason I don't do company physicals is because of all the trucking companies sending big guys (like me) to sleep studies based on BMI or Neck size measurements alone. I will not let any trucking company screw with my medical card. Period.)

So I tell the recruiter that I will get the doc to fax the long form on over to them, but that I will not be doing any physical for them when I get there. Fast forward to the next morning, I get a phone call from Chris (recruiter at Heyl), stating that they received the fax from my doc and that my long form physical is invalid because of missing blood pressure readings and other clerical errors, and that I have to take a physical with their doctor. I tell Chris that this should have been addressed long before any job offer was made and orientation lined up... I tell him that Heyl should have notified me long before 4:30 PM on the day I'm driving down there that I would need to get these problems corrected or get a new physical with MY doctor - which I could have done before leaving for orientation. Chris then says that it doens't matter - I MUST get a physical with their doc - it's mandatory. And at that point, I tell him that if that is Heyl's position, then we are done & I will just submit my gas receipts and Uber receipts, and he can book me a car rental or flight back home to Atlanta. And his response: "No, I'm not going to do that". I replied, "Excuse me?!? So, if I don't take this physical with your doc, you are going to strand me out here in the middle of Florida, without getting me home????" And Chris replied: "Well, that's your choice".

I then sat for about 10 minutes, thinking about this... Am I going to let this company strong-arm me into doing their physical? Are they playing Sleep Study games with drivers, as other trucking companies are doing? So, after thinking about this for a while, I decide that I'm not going to let Heyl coerce me into this physical.

I then get a phone call from Adam (Director of Safety), asking me what is going on. He tells me much the same that Chris had told me - that my long form was invalid and that I needed to take their company physical. I tell him what I told Chris - I will be happy to get the errors corrected on my long form and faxed over, but that I will not be doing a physical with their doc. I also tell him what Chris told me - that Heyl is intending on stranding me in the middle of Florida if I don't give in to their demands for a physical. And, Adam backed that up, saying that Heyl had no intention of paying my fuel, Uber expenses or for the cost of getting me back home. He went on to say that he "bet" that I had falsified the long form/medical card!!!

So, at that point, I had HAD IT with Heyl Truck Lines. If Heyl was going to treat me like this before I am employed with them, how were they going to treat me as an employee?!?! I then checked out of the hotel and headed to TPA for a flight back to Atlanta. I had to eat the cost of my fuel driving down in the rental car (which Heyl had previously stated - IN WRITING - that they would reimburse me for), and the Uber to/from TPA (about $100 for both trips - which Heyl had also stated - IN WRITING - that they would reimburse me for), and the flight back to Atlanta. All told, I spent about $500 out of my pocket.

And here's what bothers me the most:

1) Why did Heyl wait until LATE on the day I was driving down to Orientation to tell me about these problems? This should have been addressed WAY before any offer of employment was made.

2) If, as Adam (Director of Safety) at Heyl stated, that he felt that I had falsified my long form physical - then why would they offer me a job in the first place? You don't offer a job to somebody that you think is involved in FRAUD!!!

3) If a company brings you in for Orientation - and - for whatever reason - things don't work out... that company has a RESPONSIBILITY to get that driver back home and to pay for the travel related expenses that they had previously agreed to pay for. Heyl Truck Lines didn't reimburse me for any of this.
    So.... Sorry this was so long winded, but I want any drivers who are considering working for Heyl to be aware of what they are getting in to.... Is Heyl going to force a physical on you? Are they playing Sleep Study games or not? Are they going to get you home if things don't work out? Is Heyl going to reimburse you for your expenses? How is Heyl going to treat you as an employee?

TL;DR -- I was offered a job with Heyl, went for Orientation. I was told at the last minute that they would not accept my medical card/long form physical - which they had previously agreed to accept. Heyl tried to force me to do a physical with their doctor, possibly playing Sleep Study games. Heyl then stranded me in the middle of Florida, without paying for me to get back home, and not paying for my travel related expenses that they had previously agreed to pay for.

NOTE TO MODERATORS: If you require it, I am willing to provide evidence to back up my claims, including e-mails back and forth between me and Heyl Truck Lines, that will verify the chain of events.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    While I understand and sympathize with your situation. Its been a long time since I was a company driver. But when I was, I recall some of the companies requiring me to complete a physical with their doctor at the company's expense. I do agree that, if they wanted you to take a pre-employment physical they should have notified you in advance.

4. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    If it was me, I would have their physical. I've seen several places they do what they call a "work fitness physical" that is more strenuous than the DOT physical. By refusing to take their physical I'm not surprised they though you were trying to cover up a problem. Your attitude towards the whole BMI sleep study issue sort of points in that direction.

The part about them NOT paying your trip both ways is a seperate issue, and I think they sould have paid your trip down. Getting back home, I think that's on you.

5. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    I’d would have driven the rental car home.

6. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    You can cry and moan all you want about how they screwed you, most companies for legal protection want you to take a physical with their doctor, it’s pretty common in the industry. “Doctor shopping” was pretty common in this industry up until a few years ago.

Let’s say they took your physical and a few weeks after orientation you stroke out down the road and kill a family in a minivan, the lawyers will eat them alive in court. That’s why most legitimate companies insist you use their doctor.

7. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I may have done the same. You tell me one thing on the phone, and then change the game plan, once I'm down there? All the red flags went up at once.

BTW, that would never happen at BYOB&CBD, eh @TB John ?

8. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    If your check is good, then we're good. No physical, sleep study, or other qualifiers needed.

9. BM 58

BM 58 Heavy Load Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Lose some weight driver. And move on to another mega. They are all the same so take your pick.

Pamela1990, BigHossVolvo, alds and 4 others Thank this.
  10. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    First time I got a got a glimpse of one of their trucks I thought it said Hey!

11. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    I found myself incompatible with the attitude of their management team as well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.