Warning Ticket

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Double Dime, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Double Dime

Double Dime Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Tennessee
    Let me start by saying, I was to smart to take pictures.
    I was hauling a D9 with a mounted Forester plow from Roanoke Rapiads nc. to Knoxville TN.
    Got stopped right before I got to the TN line by a local officer. He stated i needed flags on the lower section of my mirrors instead of flags on my front bumper. Also said I didn't need flags on the cunnons (where the blade arms mount) because they didn't stick out more than 16" from the dozer. I'm about to blow my stack. A NC Dot officer shows up. Tells him what he told me. Dot rolls his eyes, ask to look at my log, writes me a warning for not being on duty not driving. Said sorry for the hold up and I am free to go.

TripleSix, D.Tibbitt, Oxbow and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I would like to hang tassels on the mirror of the local policeman as a everlasting reminder of the lack of knowledge on his part. //snarky.

I think you did good. Roll on.

D.Tibbitt and Double Dime Thank this.
  4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Did the dot cop make a inspection report?

D.Tibbitt, Grubby and Double Dime Thank this.
  5. Double Dime

Jan 17, 2017
    Tennessee
    Nope. I think maybe trying to save face. He wasn't happy with local Barney at all. Needless to say I left smiling and didn't have to buy any hotdogss

6. Double Dime

Jan 17, 2017
    Tennessee
    When I said I was to smart to take pictures. That means i forgot . Ohh I didn't even have my base plate or trailer lights covered up. I must be slipping.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We had a inspection one time with the State Police. While it's not necessarily a oversize one but being a dump truck, loaded with sand and towing a beaver trailer with one paver and one backhoe on it made for a interesting day. The one State Bear pulled me over. He had personality conflict with me even though I have done nothing but be good morning officer, wonderful day isnt it officer, would you want this fresh coffee from that diner officer, here is the truck papers officer.

No. He was in a mood to stomp all over everything. Fine. So be it. ONLY he was not DOT certified to inspect. HA...

He whistled up a Female Bear who was Certified to Inspect. Here the story takes two paths. Maybe you can understand and laugh at me. The first path was it was a very striking pretty officer. Equal to my age believe it or not. When the inspection was all over my crew teased me all day. Driver and State Police Woman sitting in the tree k i s s i n g etc. Tease me all day with sing song childrens tunes about unrequited love and all that.

The other path to inspection was a interesting situation. There was 4 of us involved with the truck, trailer etc. One was the owner of everything. He was standing by one of my Superliner 500 stacks not doing well with that thing in idle. I asked him, you ok? You don't look well. He hissed at me #### and go do something busy with the inspection DO NOT BOTHER HIM. In a manner that makes it clear that I will royally screw something up really bad if I continued to bother him with health questions.

It turned out I had missed a hole in the bottom of that exhaust pipe. And it's big enough to put a deck of cards into and then some. He stood in front of that hole making pleasantries and small talk with the DOT Bear as she passed by as the Angel Gabe-rial must have passed on his quest to make sure that nothing is a stain on this holy ground. //slight sarcasm...

That would have been a instant OOS violations with losses in not only money, fines but also repairs plus no work to be done today. The other dump truck could not be expected to be able to haul all of this to the job site worth 10,000 dollars over two days to build.

I was deeply sorry to see that the State Bear did a good job with a big inspection but there was some deception involved during that event. If she did not see it, we did not go out of our way. However at a later day it was all taken care of. By myself, Mr Mechanic and my foreman under the shade tree with a cart full of parts and bolts. Easy enough.

Disclaimer. This is a true story, condensed for brevity and contains no lunch counter material at all.

8. Double Dime

Jan 17, 2017
    Tennessee
    So you're saying your boss was as good as a exaust band that day. I had never heard of no flags on the widest part of the load or flags on the mirrors. He looked over everything, but not a big boy inspection.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Somethings gotta be written up huh? Can't just let drivers go anymore can they...(Shaking my head)

I Tell ya.

10. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    As far as I know in nc and tn only need 4 flags. Front and rear each side at the widest points. That’s all I run and never had a word said to me.

D.Tibbitt, shogun, Grubby and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Double Dime

Jan 17, 2017
    Tennessee
    That's all I've ever done also. Maybe he was afraid of hitting his head or something, who knows

Humblepie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.