Watch out for scammers in the parking lot

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by tnscavenger, Jan 31, 2017.

1. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    Maybe they're Irish Travellers?

lilillill Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tomem123

tomem123 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2017
    Heard about this kind of scams a while back. Never experienced it or any kind serious scams yet and hope never will. If I were you, I may think more than twice before getting out of the cabin and follow him to the back of the trailer.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Good write up.

Come to Jersey City Jersey sometime. Learn what it takes to sell you a 200 dollar retail value radio for 20 dollars, and find out you were sold a brick in a retail box instead.

Any time you have a problem like that write the truckstop off your list of places to stop. Find another one.

We generally don't get out of the cab for nothing. If someone was jumping up and down and saying we were on fire, fine we call the manager of the truckstop and the Law will come check it out. But we wont get out of the cab.

I cannot remember the last time we had any trouble of a scam nature in a truckstop in our later years as a Husband Wife team, we were literally always moving. Stopping only for fuel every 30 hours or so and stopping at a Laramie Walmart once a month for all food and fluids etc for a hour or so it takes to stock the cab for another month.

I will tell you that in Denmark TN off 40 at the old 76 there, we had a rule never to pull down into the old parking lot behind the building beyond the front fuel line, we always parked in the gravel overflow across from the graves and walked across to get food etc. Only when necessary.

The last time the spouse failed to follow that standing order she had a sexual predator latch onto her and climb into the cab behind her with me in the bunk. Long story short I went after him with a blade in a home defense type sitaution and he jumped or fell to the pavement to run away. At that point the threat or attack was over. There is no point in calling the Law etc. He was long gone. To be sure he wont be doing that again if he is smart. OR someone will get ahold of him and he might not survive that.

That was the last time we used Denmark as a stop. We would go to either Earle Arkansas or up to Missouri for that kind of stopping west and north and waited until Cumberland further east. We were doing alot of Memphis dedicated out and back for McKesson with million dollar loads at times of narcotics so stopping anywhere is not a option the way we ran. Usually enough food, fluids and fuel to get the delivery done then after we loaded with cardboard for Memphis we would be safe to make stops for little things like laundry etc.

Even then we did not socialize much with people. Simply did not provide parasites or predatorys any way of being able to work in a scam by talking or words in our presence. We simply did not have time to talk. How can you run a scam on a victim who you cannot talk with or to?

There is at the time we stopped trucking very little left to tie us into a truckstop and many old stops that were bad places were literally being paved over and turned into a big box store or gutted and rebuilt into a fast food self serve joint like a Subway or something with everything else ripped out providing no places for people to sit a while. They can only walk in, get food and get out.

DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  5. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    a very big mistake...

You are really lucky you didn't get jumped and robbed.

wore out, 28 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Sitting here at the ta in Antioch TN and had one of the peddlers come by with a hand full of "gold chains" he started his lines, I looked at him and told him to get the #### on. He tells me that I shouldn't be so rude lol

7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I try to be nice but certain persons especially those who are deaf and are set to work collecting donations because they have to rely on sign language really gets me. The last couple I ran into discovered I was deaf and then asked how in the world was I able to drive a 18 wheeler and they were not?

I explained about hearing impairment then explained that deafness is not a barrier to trucking, you can do certain work in and around heavy trucks or equiptment while deaf. Just need to find the right mix of attributes in a employer willing to deal with you. The State usually has gone to a great expense teaching the deaf how to communicate and function in the world of work and it's a slap to see a product of such expense walking the lot for money. Makes me wonder who is the bigger victim here. Not I or the driver.

I see a problem when people beg for money, but a bigger one when others set them to begging for money taking advantage of so called disability. That is not a excuse. if I can do it you can too.

Fast forward to 2017, what with the communication technology that does a very good job of conveying information in written form to a driver, there is literally no more need to exclude deaf people. It is actually a advantage with some of the older equiptment out there. I think the DOT Regulations will need to be changed to omit the requirement that a person be able to hear sounds at 500, 1000 and 2000 hertz and 40 db.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Speaking of scammers and confidence artists, if you ever get the opportunity to watch the first season of "Sneaky Pete", I highly recommend it

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I'll take a look at the show. Im most curious as to how scamming has evolved since my time out there.

Arkansas Atty General is warning us to avoid saying the word yes that will be recorded by scammers calling up people and asking them can you hear me? And you say yes, which is recorded and then edited into something presentable to credit card companies etc to get charges authroized.

I think it's rather dangerous, the amount of work scammers show themselves willing to engage in to get a dollar.

10. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    sounds like a scene out of the movie "Deliverance" glad your ok what is happening in this country?

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I guess it's only available through Amazon and free for Prime members. Great cast and directing

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt5011816/

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.