Watching ice road truckers and...

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Gunner75, Oct 5, 2017.

1. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Yeah. It's going to have to include local stations. Especially ABC. My wife is a news-a-holic.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    You're gonna have to check the services for your market. It's different around the country.

In salt lake. Youtube is the only service with all the locals. But they're just a starting out. It's not available everywhere. And they don't have many stations lined up yet.

x1Heavy and mitrucker Thank this.
  4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Remember IRT seasons 3 and 4, where the guys would spin out on the inclines? Same concept.

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    To be fair, I offered to help him...but he was the usual non driving know everything YouTube celebrity wannabe.

6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    That's the thing right there. Flooring it works on dry pavement. It's absolutely the wrong thing to do on dirt or any other less than perfect traction. For a long steep pull find the gear the engine can pull in higher rpm's with moderate throttle.

I would venture a guess that young man bought a used mega fleet truck specced for OTR. It can be used for what he's doing, but you have to reprogram the ECM to be wide open. I'm guessing he didn't and I bet the idiocy of governing maximum rpm's in low range is still in the program.

Sometimes the right thing to do is downshift BEFORE the steep grade, starting at 2000+ rpm's. By the time I top out I may have feathered back the throttle and be barely above idle. It's not uncommon to see deep washboards near the top. That's where the rookies are flooring it and the wheels spin and hop, gouging the road.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Oxbow, x1Heavy and TripleSix Thank this.
  7. Grubby

Grubby Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Fostoria Ohio
    I got to meet Alex at the grand opening here at B&D Truck Parts. Seemed like a great guy to me. Haven't watched the show in a while though. Im not much for tv...

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    This is how to run a hill without tearing it up.

I remember the old iron and it's RPMs in excess of what they allow you today in a ordinary OTR truck. I need that ECM and RPMs wide open as you stated when taking on exceptionally difficult and dangerous hills in bad weather. It's not for speed, (The momentum wears off after a certain point. You need to be in your pulling gear in which you will be all the way up.. by then...)

Once you slip on a steep enough grade due to driver wheel hop or something else gravity is thinking about taking over right quick. THAT might be something you will have to resolve very quickly and correct the first time it happens to you.

I can type until blue in the fingers, but the actual doing is the best school of them all.

Highway Sailor and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I ran a load to an oil rig yesterday that featured "reported" 10% grades. Here's my video. Can folks hear the difference in how I drive my underpowered truck and how the other gentleman drove his truck, stalled it, AND overheated it?

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That was well done, although that washboarding indicates to me some drivers dig in too excessively trying to run that 6 minute plus mark...

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Yep, keeps show more interesting.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.