water temperature problem on a 06 wabash carrier ultra xl reerer unit

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by kennyharvey73, Jul 22, 2018.

1. kennyharvey73

kennyharvey73 Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2018
    My water temperature goes up to 206 out here in Dallas. I have flushed the radiator and added new coolant, changed the thermostat to a 71,I also changed the water pump. Still having the same problem, can someone give me some tips.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Dallas has been experiencing pretty hot temperatures lately. We are on the edge of it ourselves.

Whatever coolant mix you are filling your unit with, it should come out to be capable of carrying a certain temperature capacity before it overheats.

If it continues to be a problem get a list of factory repair locations for your unit and show up there. They will be able to dig down and get to the root cause asap and fix it because you have to have a trailer that works in reefer. Or find another one that will work.

kennyharvey73 Thanks this.
  4. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Water boils at 212F. Antifreeze 50/50 mix at around 223F or so.

As long as your radiator fan comes on and drives the temperature down when your water temperature gets above 210 or so, I don't think you have a problem.

If the radiator fan does NOT activate at high speed to drive the temp down, then you need to have your radiator fan sensors and controls checked.

5. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    That is hot is it running in the green zone or red? If the fridge motor is old it will start to feel really hot days if you go somewhere and the outside temps are cooler is it still running really hot? If its not then you'll know it was simply the outside temps effecting the cooling capacity. If its still running hot even if your now in a cooler climate then you might have to get it checked out, the other thing is clean the grills on the radiator if there choked up with dirt and debris that can cause it to overheat.

6. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    And I was oblivious and thought you were talking about truck radiator water temps.

7. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I've had reefer units of all shapes and sizes over the years. If it is very hot outside, 206 would fall under being "normal-high" to me, especially in an older unit. When it falls down to 80 degrees outside, if it's still running that hot there could be a developing issue.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.