Watkins Shepard Short Training Period

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by xr7conv, Jun 6, 2007.

1. sal

sal Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2007
    sacramento Ca

Same here..Only bills are house tax's, auto & house Ins. But I'd still like to make at least 6/7 hundred (or more) a week . Is that out of line ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TSTONE

TSTONE Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2007
    MICHIGAN
    well she called me back and said no - does any have the criteria or can you remember enough of the physical test to give me some details?

thanx
    T

4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi

$6 or 700 a week is completely do-able. Even more if you stay after it.

Back to the other post.... physical consist of:

5 minutes on the tread mill
    Lifting approx 40 lbs 6-8 times to 3 differant heights.
    Pulling a weighted sled approx 50 feet (simulating a pallet jack)
    Crawling across the floor on hands and kness (under trailer inspection sim)
    Deep knee bends---lots

and a host of other items.

5. TSTONE

TSTONE Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2007
    MICHIGAN
    thanx dan

slowly but surely im piecing together a workout routine

if anyone else has any info on the physical id appreciate it

T

6. Raak

Raak Bobtail Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Vancouver, WA
    I just sent in my paperwork to begin training with Watkins-Shepard. Prior to this I spent a couple weeks reading and talking to other trucking companies. From what I learned Watkins-Shepard had the best deal for me. Short training so the sooner I get out on the road. I understand that the longer you train the better you will be on the road but I feel that with the driving I have done before I will be fine. I was also lucky that Watkins has a terminal 4 miles from my house. This is a huge advantage to get home paid.

I will admit that I have not talked to any Watkins-Shepard drivers and I would like to do just that. If there are any of you out there please post to this thread. I would love to read about your experiences.

Raak (rake)

7. B-rad

B-rad Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    When you only live 4 miles from the W/S terminal, I would stop by and talk to the drivers. They will give you very good infomation.

8. B-rad

B-rad Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Raak,

If you stop by the W/S terminal in Vancouver I would be interested in the area for parking personal vehicles. If I go with W/S I would have to leave my car at the terminal as I live in Eugene, OR; they won't let me park the truck at a truck stop 5 miles from where I live. I have a very nice Acura NSX sports car that is my daily driver and I would want it in a secure area for the two weeks or so that I would be over the road.

Thanks,

Brad

9. Raak

Raak Bobtail Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Vancouver, WA
    B-rad I drove by the the Vancouver terminal yesterday and I didn't see the area for parking, but then I wasn't looking for one. I wanted to see the place and their trucks. I will look closer tomorrow and let you know what I find back here on this post. As far as talking to W/S drivers, I would love to. I just feel a bit awkward about pulling in there to chat with one.

I have found that you simply can't do enough research about this industry. SO many unknowns. If you get started with a carrier because of what the recruiter told you and then find out some of it isn't true..what then? If you are not paying back tuition then I suppose you jump carriers. IF you are then you might be stuck for a while. I have talked this over with my wife at length. We have decided that if I take on this career I have to stick with it for two years. Yes, I have been traveling for work for some time... home 4-5 days a month so we know what it feels like. We are both ok with that part.

I have two close friends that are like brothers to me. They ARE brothers and both drive truck. One drives regionally and the other OTR. One thinks I am nuts for getting into trucking and the other likes the idea. I have been on the road with the OTR friend and I like it. Have been a fan of trucking since a teenager. I have been doing mostly office type jobs for the last 25 years and I am so very tired of it. I love driving and I love crossing the US. Seems like a win if I find the right carrier.

Raak

10. B-rad

B-rad Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Raak,

I have been studying many different trucking companies for the past six months and Watkins/Shepard is at the top of my list for what I am looking for. I desire to stay in the western region and they seem like a very good mid sized company. Have not read many complaints on them.

I to have been in a sales career that I have made good money but am getting burned out with commission sales.

The thing that I like about W/S is after their 30 day training you are out on your own and do not have to go with a trainer like most companies for 4-8 weeks driving with someone you might not like or is a poor trainer.

Please let me know what you find out with the parking and you shouldn't feel awkward talking to some drivers as they would be interested knowing you might be joining them.

Brad

11. sweeze

sweeze Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    Hi you guys...

I have been researching companies for the last month and just found this one. Out of all the other companies I have talked to and looked at....I get the best feeling from this one. I called today to ask about their pet policy and i got a lady who worked in safety. She was really nice. Didnt made me feel like a piece of meat and it didnt feel like a driver mill.... I really don't think I like those big companies.

Even tho the 10 days training is unpaid and even tho there is no terminal in my area I want to work for this company. And I will find a way to do it. She told me if I was willing to drive flatbed then there is more flexibility as far as parking the truck. Heck yeah I'll drive a flatbed. I figure its good for me to get the exercise.

They will allow my dog and she's a pit, no weight restriction, no nothin, don't care. Just a pic of her. She said lots of their drivers have dogs and that the trucks have apu's. Even the deposit is refundable. I get a really good feeling off this company.

The only thing is... maybe someone here can tell me... are they strict on a work history?

Oh, and the deep knee bends... i have probs with those, my knees joints hurt alot when I do that...would I be penalized?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.