*Waves* Nice To See Ya? :)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by just_Joie, Jun 23, 2009.

1. just_Joie

just_Joie Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Catahoula Parish, La
    I was slow to even find this intro section, so no wonder I got no response to my question elsewhere :)

I go by "just Joie" on forums and joined this one after scoping out several and finding it the most useful and active for information.

The economy has hosed my local options entirely and I am presently unemployed and looking for options. My Dad was a trucker, and I like to drive, so I am looking into trucking as an option and have my app in with a couple companies now. Trouble is, of course, I am finding out half the world is also applying now, when the industry is in a lull comparatively as well, so we will see how that goes :).

I grew up always viewing most truckers as the Gentlemen of The Road. Many times as a young girl travelling alone I would park in rest areas near trucks to feel safer if I needed to rest, and I always was safe. So, it is a bit saddening to read a bit of bad press in that regard for a couple companies I was looking at. It is always tough to feel the actions of a few affecting your own reputation. Dealt with that back when I was a cop, you know? I promise you guys, I am not going to prove to be one of those bad apples for you. Honor is about all I have left :).

I am a woman, retired cop, and ex-military as well, and hope to make new friends here, and get some helpful insights as I choose companies and consider my options.

Happy Trails to us all,

just j

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hi, just_Joie, Welcome to our Truckers Forum! We hope you enjoy your stay and please read our RULES. Please remember, you are NEVER allowed to post e-mails, ad links, trucking company links, personal site links, and such ANYWHERE in this forum. Thanks for understanding! We hope to help you and get to know you soon! Thanks, just_Joie!

just_Joie, do you have a question about how to do something? Try our FAQ section or you can PM me or a Moderator (50 posts not required to PM a Mod) to ask a question! Also, you can read through our Truckers Forum Information Center!

4. jess-juju

jess-juju Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Shelbyville TN
    Welcome to the Forum Just Joie!!

5. Mastertech

Mastertech Staff Leader / Admin Staff Member Administrator

Dec 28, 2007
    3rd Rock From The Sun.
    Welcome to The Truckers Report!!! Glad you found us!

6. bluedog

bluedog Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2009
    arkansas
    last not lajoie is it i have relatives in la with that name

7. Tankergirl80

Tankergirl80 GangstaGirl

Jan 7, 2009
    West Texas
    Hello there, always great to have another chic on board, not that I don't love these guys..... well, you know, it's a girl thing.:yes2557:

8. just_Joie

just_Joie Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Catahoula Parish, La
    Thanks for the welcomes, guys :)

To BlueDog, no, not one of the LaJoie's, unless you are rich, then I will lie and claim yeah, sure LOL.

Hi Tankergirl80! I notice you are in Texas and was thinking about moving thataway. There are just zero jobs here at all for me, I have applied everywhere and have no clue what to do now. Apps in with some of OTR compaqnies as well but no response yet, though it has only been a week or so and I do not really prefer that anyway. I really hoped for something more like regional or a few dedicateds that paid a bit, nothing extravagant.

Tankers also sounded like the best idea for me. I like safe, and a job I can do by myself. I'd pm you if I could to ask a few questions, but I am not even close to 50 posts and not likely to be soon, as I am not much of a talker.

If you use that aol chat thingy, I am meanbee9 on that. Anyone who wants to gab is welcome to catch me there if they wish. I need to actively network for info and a job asap.

just j

bluedog Thanks this.
  9. Tankergirl80

Tankergirl80 GangstaGirl

Jan 7, 2009
    West Texas
    I'm not sure what part of TX you were thinking of relocating to but I'm in west TX. There is work out here, mostly oilfield. The boom did fall out at the end of last year into the beginning of this year but things are starting to pick back up. They are bringing back out rigs they had stacked slowly but surely. There is also a Family Dollar distribution in Odessa and JB HUNT as regional runs out of there doing store deliveries and such.
    I'm not sure if tankers are exactly safe... I believe someone on here has a signature that says "Tank surge trumps caffeine any day" and man that's true. I do like pulling tanks though. They're nice once you get the feel of them.
    Sorry no aol thingy, I never got the hang of IMing, lol. But you can ask all you want on here, it is your thread....:biggrin_25525: if someone doesn't like they don't have to read. :biggrin_25526:

10. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    welcome to tha jungle! we've got fun AND games! LOL
    you have found the best forum on the old 3dubya.:biggrin_25525: 25K plus members and i would guess 1K plus frequent posters. wife's got family around lockport, also you might want to look up "coonass" he is from over there. he may have a lead or 2 for ya:biggrin_255:

just_Joie Thanks this.
  11. just_Joie

just_Joie Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Catahoula Parish, La
    That is what I have been hearing, that Texas does have some work and is busy enough a body could just about work a career and never drive out of the state. I did not have a specific area in mind, just I am to the point now of silent screaming desperation for work, and had heard that and taken it seriously. I need a job today and have nobody to fall back on (and boo-hoo, sob-sob, this is the tale of many these days and so let me get it behind me and be done with it).

Family Dollar in Odessa and JB Hunt? *makes a note of both*

No, no, I meant I like being safe and having safety in the forefront of my mind. Driving a tanker is probably the same or close to driving a volunteer fire dept's water truck - no hotdogs need apply. Lumping is not my bag but climbing around hooking and unhooking (no smart cracks) and such is all what I can easily do on my own and so this has appeal for me. Trouble is, I do not know that any companies train new drivers in them. Plus if they did why pick me, when there are experienced applicants. Just reality.

LOL, well then how about the stories I have read on other threads about two companies in particular rather known for downright abuse of women drivers by their trainers? Is this a case of a few bad apples, or is this a hazard throughout the industry? Since the late 70's I have always worked in male oriented fields - military and cop shop stuff. I am familiar with the attitude being that a few are real flushable sorts about women in their turf, the majority sit back and aren't sure, but if you do your job they chill out readily and accept you, and a few are regular cheerleaders about it. I was totally appalled to read about those companies and drivers being raped by thier trainers. I do not want the jail time for killing a man, you know? I'd rather be free to work and buy my own food ya know? :biggrin_25525:

I understand totally the opposite concern, of men worrying about training female drivers and claims or lies. But, it hurts to think I face that again and would miss out on possibly the best trainer over a sorry issue like this, reality or not. If I have to go out OTR, I want the very best trainer I can get to help me do it right, and the odds are that is a man, just because there are many more of them driving.

I have applied to a local construction company which is always begging everywhere for drivers, class B welcome, they will train you as you drive a tandem etc. They do not even call me and I know why. It is not me or my resume, it is that I am not a guy and they worry about "issues". I am going to have to start calling and harassing them to get their attention, if I really want that job and truth is they may know I would not succeed there because of their own type of driver group. You will not succeed if they really don't want to let you do that, though I have never suffered that from male groups, just one female group in an unrelated job. Those will lie, cheat, band together with the devil hisself to try to prove something :biggrin_25510:. I am all for running back to the guys' mercies on a job, because I do my job always the best I can and they are reliable in my experience for allowing you credit for that once they know it about you.

So, there is question 1. Wazzup for reals out there with the whole women/men factor on the job in this industry? I thought if you could get a cop to apologize and become your best bud, you pretty much could deal with most professions and the majority in it. True or false?

just j

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.