Wawa data breach!

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Infosaur, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Convenience Store, Food Market, Coffee Shop & Fuel Station | Wawa

(Link is to a press release from the company, sorry the text doesn't reflect that.)

Chester PA

So this chain is mostly east coast. From NJ down to Virginia and then again in Florida. There may be other locations. It's a good place for "us" because many locations reserve room in their lots for a few trucks to park. (Not overnight, but you can take a 30 there if you want, usually they're cool with it.)

So generally it's a cool place and I think this might affect some of us. So check your bank and be proactive.

bzinger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Thanks for posting this story. I really recommend everyone freeze your credit. You or a hacker cannot establish credit using your name and SSN without the PIN number issued by credit agency.
    How do I place a freeze on my credit reports?

Lifelock is not the same. Lifelock simply puts a note in your credit file for the company issuing you new credit to ask for your ID. A Credit freeze is like putting a deadbolt lock on your door. Lifelock is like putting a "no trespassing" or "Unauthorized Personnel Prohibited" sign on your door. Most credit grantors will issue new credit without reading the Lifelock notice.

2BContinued Thanks this.
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I had mine frozen for years.

It's getting to be a real PITA to unfreeze it these days. Last time took me almost an hour to unfreeze all 3 agencies.

Trying to access just about anything is getting to be a PITA. Specially if you have accounts that constantly want you to change your password.

5. Infosaur

I've always been suspicious of lifelock. I think they charge monthly for the service.

Granted there are people in much better financial position than me but even if someone accessed my bank account they probably wouldn't get very far.

Digital lint!

6. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    1. Sign up for Credit Karma, it's free and will alert you to anything new on your credit report.

2. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever... use a debit card for anything. It is a really good way to have your bank account drained and can take a long time to get your money back. Been there, done that.

3. Use a real credit card and keep an unused backup card for the eventuality that the main card will have to be shut off.

I have my Capital One card set to alert me through the app and text messages instantly when a charge goes through. Makes it easy to shut your card off before the damage is too severe, not that Capital One has ever held me responsible for any fraudulent charges... they haven't.

4. After getting my card skimmed again, customer service at Capital One told me that the biggest culprits are gas pumps. They also said the only way they can be skimmed is through a mag-swipe—a chip reader transaction is encrypted and can't be skimmed.

5. West Palm Beach, FL is chock full of credit card thieves.

7. Infosaur

My bank tried to blame a gas pump, but the same day I was in a McDonald's in a bad neighborhood in Jersey and their card reader was acting strange. Some quick Google-## and I found an outfit that made skimmers for that specific card machine. (Forget the name or I'd post a pic.)

So I'm still thinking it's the McDonald's that got me and not the gas station.

lilillill Thanks this.
  8. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I think anyone caught installing a skimmer on a gas pump should be soaked in gasoline and lit on fire... but hey, that's just me.

GoneButNotForgotten Thanks this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I get my alerts from transunion for all 3 bureaus.

I had 3 bank cards shut down overnight. Only used 1 for a car wash. How they got all 3 is beyond me. My credit union credit and debit weren't even affected.

Banks are too risky and too costly with their higher interest.

Credit unions seem to be more safer and cheaper interest.

In the end, though. I don't think it matters anymore. All the precautions in the world won't stop them.

10. Infosaur

Yeah, we take all the precautions in the world but these leaks are coming from hacks of mainframes.

Why bother with a skimmer? Wait all day in a parking lot to get a few hundred numbers that you still have to cross reference and get secondary data. (Might just be easier to punch random numbers into a cc# form.) or with a few clicks you can net tens of thousands of transactions from a major retailer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.