Ways to reduce detention besides avoiding certain warehouses?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by ElijahJohn1, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    I used to turn my reefer off when the doors were open because I am responsible for temperature control during tránsit and my reefer is not part of your dock cooling system. if you're hauling groceries and you want out of there faster do your own lumping . .... log it 8 minutes on duty rest off no sense wasting your hours .... the excersize will do you some good .... I am doing Dry van and avoid foods so my bs wait time is way down ... I am self dispatch so its a lot easier to avoid the idiots . but did gain about 20 lbs switching to dry van and not doing all that lumping ........ best thing is to call ahead and confirm your appointments or give an aproximate time sometimes this helps and do it before you start your clock in case its a different time

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    You can't shut down because your at the dock, any spoilage will be on you, and most receivers know that, sad but true. As far as lumping goes, it's great exercise and you definitely save money, but in the long run it can cost dearly, I lost 2 lower discs, due to lumping. After awhile your discs take a beating and breaking down freight only speeds the process, ask any driver that's done it for some time.

4. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    There’s no real tricks. Off all the grocery dc’s i’ve frequented in the North East, it doesn’t make a difference if you lump it or pay the lumper the checkers are the ones who hold you up.

I’ve unloaded & broke down my loads and had the freight sit on the dock for hours before they would check it in. Don’t think hunting down the checker or standing by your freight will help...it doesn’t.

If you really want to lower your detention times, haul an end dump. It takes about 30 seconds to unload:)

Tombstone69 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.