'We are dropping like flies.' Ex-fighter pilots push for earlier cancer screenings

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Aug 18, 2019.

1. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Some EA6B Prowlers had the “radioactive” symbol on their nose cone(minus the yellow paint). The last ones were retired by the USMC back in March of this year. They’ve been replaced by the EA-18G Growler,which is based on the FA-18F Super Hornet.
    Northrop Grumman EA-6B Prowler - Wikipedia
    Northrop Grumman EA-6B Prowler - Wikipedia
    The older Douglas A3 Skywarrior was originally developed as a strategic bomber(including nuclear capability) but served in a multitude of roles.
    Douglas A-3 Skywarrior - Wikipedia

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    getting back on the subject of radiation....i have had so many x-rays over the years, either from doctors, dentists, that i wonder if a cancer will develop in me as well.

let's not forget too, (us older guys) that many of the old first few generations of color tv's were emitting radiation.

then too, many have talked about the hazards of cell phones.

wouldn't surprise me one bit, if all these things at some point and time, are the root causes of many cancers.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I don't believe radiation can cause cancer but heavy metals will cause it.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A6's were retired somewhat before the Tomcats (WADDA PLANE....) were themselves retired.

Geo. Washington CV was caught in the plume at Fukushima fallout after the three reactors blew up and she deployed her wash down system for a while but ended up going to the yards for a while on the west coast to change out certain parts that were taking in way too much radiation. The navy was very tightlipped about it. I managed to capture some of what it was then on social media and then birdies years later talked more about that carrier.

The Navy has a historical set of problems that need solving relatively fast. Thats going to take a while. One is reminded of the bad film Self Defense when a corporation offers a crappy defective tank to the military in the movie. Half the stuff in the film being imaginary is reinforcing just how bad the film was and continues to be.

I don't want to pick on them too much. We have been as a country through this before over and over. I would like to pretend I know nothing at all.

6. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    That brings back some memories, not very many planes can fly faster than an F-4. I was an F-111 crew chief and we flew a lot of missions with A-6’s and F-4’s flying air cap.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.