We get $2,740 a month from Social Security: Where should we retire?

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I would consider a expat type of situation. Right now the American Dollar converting to Shekel for the local economy is about a little over 3 to one in our favor. So 10 dollars USA in your pocket exchanges to a local equivalent of eh... 35 shekel. IF its one to one or worse there is no benefit.

I think China is running 8 to 1, Japan a little over 10 to one, Canada occasionally 35% apparent spending power increase when you use USD in your spending.

I am not too far from social security And decided that I will continue working until 70 or whatever that maximum age of retiring is.

OTOH, I might just go and file at 65 and take the COLA Hits when about 24 to 27% of all benefits are cut pernamently around 2034. At about 2% a year COLA will replace that loss near the 90's in your lifetime and position you back to square one.

What we have done recently is examine annuities. IF for eample you commit 10K times 5 seperate annuities there is 5 seperate income streams for 7 years, Tiaa Cref comes to mind. We have done business with them before.

The big thing is evaluating going outside of the 50 states and the borders of these United States. I feel the local exchanges and economies when you bring USD to the table for the beneficial exchange rate you will find that your overall situation has doubled or tripled in terms of cash flow in the local econmy.

Do not make the mistake of buying AMerican Gold Eagle Ounces in Bullion Coin. It's about 90.34% gold content. If you wish to have gold, take a look at the Pandas sitatuion and or the Maples because they should be around 99.7% gold. You don't need much, understand the spread of how many silver coins it takes to purcahse one gold coin spread and work on accumulating. At some point in the future that spread will resume it's Natural Situation of about 14 to 1 in Gold to Silver. HAving accumulated at 82 or whatever to one for years will help you be in a good position.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  5. brysol01

brysol01 Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2009
    close to the beach

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Do not. I repeat. DO NOT move to China. ####s going down and getting worse there. It's a powder keg and the government takes it out on foreigners frequently. Just look at the Canadians arrested because Canada lawfully arrested one of their corporate agents. You risk arrest and execution just for being American these days. And maybe social security shouldn't pay for expats.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I have a home in China. American Expats in China use the Social Security office in Manila, Philippines and can take care of all Social Security business by phone.
    You're right, in that politicians can get in trouble in China, for running their mouth, but us normal, average expats are treated very well.
    Philippines is excellent place to retire also.
    Here's photos of Social Security Office and Veterans Administration in Philippines.
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    FlaSwampRat and brysol01 Thank this.
  8. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Lots of people are going to Belize . Nice climate , everything is inexpensive and it's an English speaking country.

9. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Good deal.
    145000 in retirement!

10. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I know you have a home in China. Has it fallen down yet? Everything about China makes me nervous. I'd never want to be on the roads there. I'd never trust anything built there. I wouldn't want to be harassed every month to register with the local police department as a foreigner and be followed as such to make sure I wasn't working on some quirky visa because you can almost never become naturalized and properly immigrate.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.