We Have Reached The Pont of Absurdity

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Opus, Oct 8, 2022.

1. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018

Why wait till high school, grade 1 players pulling in 3 million a year sounds great.
    I'm going to hurry up and get the wife pregnant.

Flat Earth Trucker and bryan21384 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    If they’re able to draw in revenue just like any other thing, why shouldn’t they? Stop and think about it for a minute. Colleges make billions off of collegiate sports. Why should the fat cats get to keep it all? High school sports don’t generate that kind of money though. They don’t have a national TV audience. That’s why it won’t happen at the high school level. If there was a national interest And it gained income from national televised events? Of course I think high school athletes should get paid something.

D.Tibbitt, bryan21384 and gentleroger Thank this.
  4. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Some high school sports do - look at Texas or schools like Mater Dei. They spend millions on high school stadiums, most football head coaches earn more than the principal. There was some talk last year about doing NIL for high schoolers down there.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    If high school players are drawing big money like the college or pro players, I would totally support them being compensated......just like all of you want to be compensated for every minute you're out here on the road.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  6. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Bro I am with you 100 percent. The transfer portal had become huge now since the NIL got passed. These players are going to wherever they can make bigger money, and why not? Like you said, it ain't a guarantee they'll go pro. The way these schools are swapping conferences, trying to get a piece of that TV money, at some point, they'll need a payroll for every athlete. I feel like they should have had a payroll long before NIL, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    You know there's truth to that. Look at how much coverage high schools like Hoover High down in Alabama got. They had a reality show for a while. Before LeBron James went pro, they were broadcasting all of his games. He was able to buy his mom a hummer before he got drafted. So he was getting some money somewhere.

8. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Oh to be back in the days when "amateur athlete" meant something.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  9. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    In my opinion, you should not have negative feelings towards the athletes. They are capitalizing on what is available to them. Any of us would if we were in there position. You're going to say, "No I don't want to get paid. I'm an amateur?" Yeah right lol. You should look at the NCAA, boosters, even us fans for pouring so much money into collegiate athletics. To those athletes, get your money. It's honest work.

gentleroger and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.