Week of nightmares with DD15

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by mhyn, Dec 7, 2015.

1. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I just now noticed that video, i can't freaking believe it. I guess there is a commercial and there is the reality i see everyday. I wonder what owner ops would say if you asked 100 of them about the dpf and scr systems on these trucks as well as down time for repairs and how they get properly diagnosed at the dealer after a boat load of money after throwing parts. It is really said what US trucks have resorted to.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    You couldn't have said it better. I just love all the sales propaganda about how all these new engines can "diagnose themselves." Funny, because every time mine goes to the dealer it is nothing more than trial and error parts changing until they get lucky and correct the problem.
    Add me to the list of people disgusted with all the new diesel engines and new truck build quality. I won't even buy another diesel pickup because of all the emissions issues. No thanks, I'll pay for the gasoline.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  4. Jeffisr1

Jeffisr1 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2016
    I would almost bet it's liner seals I've done like 7 in the last 3 months never seen problem with head but I have seen issues with the block in between the kits

5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    are you Detroit tech? yeah the seal was bad on #3. I think original seals have bad quality or bad engineered. Detroit has changed seals and new ones are little different(they have different part number too). My truck was repaired at Valley Power Systems, City of Industry, CA. They are official Detroit distributor here.

6. Jeffisr1

Jeffisr1 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Yes I am Detroit tech and yesterday was the first time on this web page then after looking more I seen where you posted that you had pictures and everything posted I felt pretty dumb and tried to erase my post but ooh well and yes they have changed material 3 times already for liner seals

mhyn and magoo68 Thank this.
  7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    They have changed the oil pump 7 times since 2012 :) beside of repairs that was done under warranty I changed the oil pump and all bearings on crack. They were worn however the engine had only 450k miles.
    yesterday I saw a 2012 dd15 with broken injector and cracked liner. Looks like the tip of injector was broken and tip was hit by piston. I think Detroit is making more money by selling parts or doing repairs then by selling trucks.

8. Jeffisr1

Jeffisr1 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2016
    I really believe the engine is a good engine with a little bit of maintenance not what's recommended but better like more frequent oil changes coolant service once a year regular air filter change fuel filters in my opinion oil is cheap insurance I don't know what oil change costs or coolant service but I've seen trucks with million miles no overhaul liners had no pitting still had cross hatch bearings were all good but guy changed oil at 10k sometimes 15k and that was Mercedes mbe I couldn't believe it myself

9. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I checked myself liners , pistons and rings. They were like new. But bearings had excessive wear. I do oil change every 15k miles and I have rotella elc coolant in engine. I am second owner of this truck and I got the truck when odometer was 280k m. I hope with new seals I will not have this problem again.
    have you ever seen DD15 with broken exhaust valve and damaged liner and head? that happen a lot with series 60 high mileage engines.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  10. Jeffisr1

Jeffisr1 Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2016
    I've seen broken exhaust rocker shafts but it doesn't usually do any damage to head or anything just needs new shaft I have seen a ton of injector failures causing cracked liners and then it causes one box problems and will leave you stranded

11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    stranded ? :) it will make you bankrupt . :) any suggestion for injectors ?
    some people say change injectors after 600k even they are good. Some people say Reliabilt injectors are better then originals. What do you think ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.