Week of waiting between school and exam

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by jmarc77, May 24, 2022.

1. jmarc77

jmarc77 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2021
    Friday was the last day of my CDL course. However despite being one of the more advanced students, I got one of the very last scheduled test dates. My test is not until 5/31. I am still able to go to the school and practice this week but they now have a new group of students to teach who are only in their first week, so I'm not really getting much seat time and I don't need any more practice on the pre trip. I would be okay with the extra week if I actually got some practice in, but so far all I've done is sat around and watch the new group of students. I'm worried that I'm not going to be as polished as I could be when the test day comes because I haven't really driven for a week. I'm getting very frustrated and anxious about it. I just want this to be over with so I can move on to getting a job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    can you step up and watch?
    or go over the steps in your mind?
    or ask a trainer for a lil extra time to refine skills, some trainers like determination.

4. jmarc77

Sep 17, 2021
    Technically I don't even have to attend this week. I'm doing so on my own accord to try and get what extra practice I can. I can observe the other students but I'd really like to be taking a run on the road to practice my shifting or otherwise practicing the alley dock or parallel. I'm hoping I can maybe convince one of the instructors to work with me one on one for a bit. It's just very anxiety-inducing to have to wait around for a week.

5. jmarc77

Sep 17, 2021
    So I talked with my instructor today, he had me perform a couple maneuvers and then told me I should take the rest of the day off. He said he knows I am good enough and he is hesitant to have me over-practice. He invited me to come in on Friday and brush up a little but there is really no reason for me to continue practice skills I'm already capable of doing.

6. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I would hang around the school if you have nothing but time. Otherwise you're sitting home just waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Being near that diesel engine sound, hearing those air brakes, seeing all the new students grinning and pointing to the big trucks, you can walk around and boast of completing the school. But it's up to you, have fun !

7. SMK Shoe

SMK Shoe Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Little late, but standing in the yard watching newer students do the maneuvers would help. Just talk to yourself about what he/she should do next, what to look for, finding the marks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.