Weigh Stations disappearing?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by king v, Feb 26, 2018.

1. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Nah it' just a where you happen to be thing. Lately I've seen coops in nh,me,vt,ma, open in places where there never open. Hell the place in nh last time I saw open was in the 90's.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. king v

king v Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2015
    Out here in the oil fields they've sunk as low as writing citations for mud on your tag. Like I'm supposed to stop every half mile and wipe my tag off.

stwik and jsnell Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Not so.

DOT might get you to pay for the very best in pretrip service.

5. BillStep

BillStep Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    I think the DOT moved em all to Virginia.

6. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    To many container haulers and chicago 1099 trucks would take that to advantage. This is why it’ll never happen

7. Why don't the guys having accidents, work on aiming for a scale house. It has plenty of room and it will keep the truck from any water hazard, 4wheeler or. Motorcycles.????

Just askin

Cattleman84, stwik and Rugerfan Thank this.
  8. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

To paraphrase an old George Carlin joke, "the next time you go through a scale,,,,"

9. jon69

jon69 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Yesterday went through one in VA I77 North. It was just a booth no employees no cops there nothing.

I guess the way it works is if you dont get the green light you get sent to the back lot and wait there until DOT arrives.

First station I have seen with no employees present

Big_D409 Thanks this.
  10. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Call_Me_The_Breeze Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2015
    THIS. I had a dispatcher once that rode my ### constantly because apparently I was the only driver that wouldn't roll with questionable weights, which is to say that if my gross was over 80k, tandems were over 34k, steer was over 13k, I went back for a rework. Couple times I rolled with the drives a hundred over, but I knew fuel would offset that before too long.

Anyway, I went back for two reworks on a load from Purina Davenport to Fulton, MO. Dispatch was raising hell because there were no scales en route. Well, guess what I saw fifteen minutes down US-61 once I was legal? That's right, Iowa DOT on the side with a rental truck, and they were pulling out the portables.

Couple months later, I arrived at Purina Davenport again to haplessly wander into the aftermath of another truck from our company who had rolled without even scaling the load and been busted on I-280. Another truck from our company had to be dispatched with a pallet jack to offload the excess to get them out of the ticket. Both trucks had to return to the shipper to sort things out, and Purina was furious.

Sealed food-grade load, and the seal had been broken without authorization between origin and destination. The guy that caused all the trouble dropped his trailer and snuck off to leave the other driver with part of THEIR load on the truck without a manifest, so he couldn't go anywhere. Security was so busy trying to get that sorted out with higher-ups, it took me three hours just to get my paperwork, after which I needed two re-works for overage.

Moral of the story -- NEVER get too comfortable thinking you'll be 'close enough', or assume you'll get away with anything, sooner or later, you won't...

Drop And Hook - You're Doing It Wrong.jpg

As others have said, I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth when a scale is closed. LOL

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    BillStep, bzinger and jon69 Thank this.
  11. TIMPTE 527

TIMPTE 527 Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    Couple weeks ago Oregon I84 at the rest areas (both sides) east of the new Loves O.D.O.T. had portables set up in the rest area. Had a digital sign truck a mile before saying WEIGH STATION AHEAD. I got so lucky I could see trucks backed up to the highway and there was another truck sign that said SCALES CLOSED. There was a bunch of vans pick ups and inspectors at both places. Looked like a full blown scale. They had a table set up right at the portables with a digital read out and everything. I got away with one because I was 35000 on the drives.

Tug Toy, bzinger and Truckermania Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.