Weighed two times on I 95 in va in less than 10 minutes

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Hulld, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    so I was north bound on I 95 va just south of the Carson scale house on Thursday just minding my own bussiness doing about 63 mph in the slow lane.
    I look in my mirror and there was a freight hauler pulling a van trailer passing me on the left with a va state trooper glued to his tail with the blue lights going.
    I thought to myself "well that sucks for him" when all of a sudden the trooper hits his brakes hard and falls in behind me.
    Now I'm thinking this can't be good,but what the hell did I do?
    So I pull over as soon as I could with the trailer pulled tight to the gaurd rail but still partially out in the high way on crazy I 95.
    As I am pulling over a white unmarked suv flys in front of me with lights going.
    Now I'm thinking WTF.
    The state trooper walks up the side of my truck and then walks right by me and goes to the white suv.
    He talks with the guy in the suv and then walks back to my truck and jumps up on the step and says to me
    "We are going to weigh you but it's not safe to do so here and to follow the white suv to a safe spot".
    I say "ok"
    I follow them to the next exit and they pull off in the right turn lane.
    The dot guy in the white suv opens the back and pulls out portable scales.
    He walks up to my window and says "we are going to get a weight on your drive axel".
    I chuckled a little bit and handed him my cat scale slip and said " I am at 16,200# on the drive"
    While this is going on the state trooper is taking all my license information and registrations.
    He pulls me up on the scale and takes a look.
    I say to him "what did you get"?
    He says "16,200# that cat scale is on the money"
    They then backed me off the portables and handed me all my license and registration info back and sent me on my way with no paper work documenting the stop at all.
    Then of course I drive for another 10 minutes and it's back on the scale again at the Carson scale house.
    I had left Florida and I had already had the load on the scales 6 times before this incident,I think I have been weighed enough this week.
    Oh and by the way the portable weigh was number 7 and the Carson scale was 8 and then I got weighed 1 more time on I 81 in Winchester VA for a total of 9 times before I got back to ny.
    Thank god north bound SC gave me a bypass or I would have had an even 10 for the trip.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    One of these days I can tell you about the scales I broke in VA.

Weigh weigh weigh away. if the CAT Scale says you are good, don't worry. Enjoy.

Ive only been on portables twice in my lifetime. Both of them at Raton.

Hulld Thanks this.
  4. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    The portable scales is nothing new to me as I am from ny and that is all they have here,no fixed scale houses.
    I suspect the real story here might be that this is some sort of new pilot program that VA is trying out.
    The whole thing seemed very disorganized including weighing me ten minutes from the fixed scale house and not providing me any paper work that the stop ever occurred.

SLANT6 Thanks this.
  5. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    April Fools, brah.

Hulld and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  6. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    No April fools just a day in my life lol....

KillingTime Thanks this.
  7. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Man Hulld, that is weird, did you have a big vehicle(s) up front? are you S/A drive? We seldom get weighed on our singles and we run close quite often.

8. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I had a GMC Yukon suv on the front, six cars total on the trailer I was 16,200 # on the drive and 52,900# gross.
    The more I think about it the more I am thinking it was some form of training for some program that is yet to come .

Terry270 and KANSAS TRANSIT Thank this.
  9. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Sounds like they were fishing. The one with the scales should be able to eyeball and tell you weren't over. If you were southbound I could see them thinking you went around the scale.

10. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    It was very strange and disorganized the way it was done.
    They also had scales under my steer axel.
    I asked them what the steer axel read to compare to my cat scale ticket and he said "I didn't even look".

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You were going 63 mph in a 70 mph area. That's why you were stopped.

"Oh, he can't even run the speed limit so he MUST be heavy". :rolleyes:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.