Weight difference flatbed vs stake body for a straight truck hauling logs.

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Airman89, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Airman89

Airman89 Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Looking to get some input on if I can save weight by switching from a solid flatbed to a stake body for hauling logs. I want to figure out if it’s really worth the work or not. Any advice is appreciated thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Hello,
    in europe full flatbed timber trucks almost dissapeared, mostly due weight.
    i usually count 85lb/ft of weight difference but it really depends on configuration.

we only use full flatbed for most difficult jobs (bad shape logs, frequent loading - truck that take logs outside of forest and load other trucks), if need to load 3ft logs (loaded cross), if load pallets or hay.

without full platform you will need ribbed aluminium protective sheet for center of truck along frame, and above some components, fuel tank, battery box etc.

be honest with you and think how much do you load/overload, find bodybuilder with FEM software to make you custom subframe that will do exactly what you need.
    here i know for timber body+bunks+headboard+hydraulics+mudgards+side underride protection+crane bracket+crane+grab, 20ft long, weights:

7400lbs with aluminium subframe,
    8700 with weight opt. steel subframe
    most common 10000lbs
    max 11000lbs

with same crane, just depends how much do you plan to overload and how difficult terrain, what temperature range etc.

you can save significant weight using aluminium timber bunks, dont have idea which are available in USA, probably only Exte.
    Timber bunk. Timber bunks D-Series | ExTe

consider getting EU crane there. palfinger offers their epsilon range in usa, they are little bit lighter
    Model Overview Forestry & Scrap Cranes | PALFINGER

state of the art timber trucks from austria, you can see here some examples, maybe you get some idea from here
    Aufbauten :: Deutsch

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.