Weight Distribution Coronado

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 702Haulerz, Feb 22, 2017.

1. 702Haulerz

702Haulerz Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2013
    CaLI, CA
    Hello,
    Recently purchases a 2015 Coronado 132 Dd15, 13 speed, 24.5" wheels & 265" wheelbase. Having load distribution issues Need your suggestions. while hauling 53' reefer (22.5 Lo pro)Steers axle get only 10k lbs instead of available 12k lbs Reducing my overall weight capacity & causes overweight drives or trailer axles,,
    Steer:10k , drives:34k lbs , trailer:34k lbs,,I'm trying to get 12k lbs on steers & So I can get loaded to 80K but any more makes drives higher to 36k lbs. That's with the fifth wheel all the way to the front as possible, also confirmed trailer is loaded correctly, help with any suggestions as how to fix it? There is still lot of gap between the trailer & tractor that cant get any closer. Is it possible to remove fifth wheel assembly up front without causing other issues?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Relocating your 5th wheel might be your only option.

But if someone has a trick or 2. Hopefully they'll post cuz i had that same situation in a truck i once drove. It had a bolt on wheel. No sliding track.

If you figure it out. I'd put it in a position that will allow up to 13K on the steers. Or more.

My last truck was rated for 13k. I rolled around with 12.8 and full tanks. And there's been a couple of times where the drives were a litttle heavy. Burn off some fuel. Slide wheel forward. Weight off drives and on to steers. Roll through scale. Deliver load and slide her back.

Toomanybikes, 702Haulerz and AModelCat Thank this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Out of curiosity, is this 10k number with full fuel tanks? I can't fathom Freightliner building an OTR class 8 truck that can only manage up to 10k on steers with full tanks. Or maybe they tried and found the ride sucked really bad (too bad)

It may have been custom spec'd for a 3 axle trailer hauler who was not concerned with getting 12k on steer, and was more concerned with ride comfort ... or somebody like a fedex ground contractor who never has weight issues. Regardless, you should probably work with a Freightliner rep who spec's trucks to make sure it's even possible to get a 12k/34k 5th wheel configuration without the trailer landing gear getting up into the tractor mud flap hangers and reefer unit clearance to back of cab. A lot also depends on the fuel tank capacities and positioning. With long WB tractors, the 5th wheel has to be waaaaay up there to start to direct cargo weight to the steer in significant numbers

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    702Haulerz and snowwy Thank this.
  5. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    If you are moved forward all the way and you still have a gap you will have to have the fifth wheel assembly moved. Probably was owned by a skateboarder who needed the room up front for front over hang and had it moved back.

702Haulerz, LoneCowboy and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    Used to drive a Coronado Glider with Previous Company.
    Didn't have any trouble getting close to 12k.
    Wondering why you can't.

702Haulerz Thanks this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Maybe the driver has achieved a very svelt physique and does not have the common fat physique we're accustomed to. Pounds matter.

4xq1uq.jpg

Protein Hauler Thanks this.
  8. 702Haulerz

Dec 7, 2013
    CaLI, CA
    It's with full tanks, & previously was used to run Flatbeds, & reefer both (per dealer), still I would call Freightliner now to find out re specs of this particular truck!

9. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Op, can you post a picture of the back of the truck showing where the fifth wheel is and where the slides are?

Protein Hauler Thanks this.
  10. 702Haulerz

Dec 7, 2013
    CaLI, CA
    Rt now it's hooked to a loaded reeferbut still these pics might give you some ideas
    IMG_0347.JPG IMG_0346.JPG

11. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Is that slid up as much as you can? It's still behind the center of your drives, so the more weight you load on the trailer the lighter your front gets.

That's not factory standard. Get the whole assembly moved forward and you should be able to get the weight you want up front.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.