Weight loss & half marathon journey.

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by truck_n_vacation, Jan 31, 2016.

1. truck_n_vacation

truck_n_vacation Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Last night I stepped on a scale at the truck stop for the first time in 9 months. I was not the least surprised being the food choices I've made during that time. Always with an excuse, I'm tired, in a hurry, it's just easier, etc.... Always got one for why I grab that dang Big Mac. We can all make excuses why we decide that route, but should be making the excuse why should I.

Yesterday I decided to not only just to eat better, but to challenge myself physically. So I made the excuse that I have to run a half marathon this year in September. I emptied everything out of the truck that's not good for me. And restocked it today.

So as far as my set up in the truck.
    1. I have a mounted fridge, and had purchased a fridge/freezer from Loews.
    2. I have an aeropress for my coffee along with a hot water kettle.
    3. A ceramic electric skillet.
    4. A Emerson 700 watt microwave from target
    5. 5 storage glad bowls.
    6. A very sharp high quality chefs knife, and utility knife w/a great sharpener.
    7. Paper plates, bowls, plastic wear, and disposable coffee cups. And plastic high temp spatulas.
    8. My awesome bbq grill that fits in the side box. With the minnie tanks.

And me......
    1. 45 yr.old obese truck driver.
    2. Weighed in last night at 278.6 lbs.:eek:
    3. Have broken my right leg in three places.
    4. Feel down a flight of stairs 4 moths ago pining my left leg behind me jacking up that ankle some. Still hurts sometimes.
    5. I use to love to ride my bicycle. Was at 215 lbs then.
    6. I ran/walked a half marathon 2 years ago. Ended up with shin splints and a left foot stress fracture during this accomplishment.
    7. Doctor said I was good to go when I had my annual physical last month. Just take it slow.

So that's some of the basics so far.
    So the goal is to lose 50 lbs before September and to run a half marathon under 2:10.

I will do a weekly weigh in on Friday/Saturday with a photo of the scale to show my progress. Bad or Good! I will also have a strava account to track my exercise if any want to follow and give me hell when I slack off.

That's all for now. Any questions or you just want know anything just post it here.

Got to roll, but first I got to get out my sliced cantelope and apple slices before taking off to have in reach.

LindaPV, HalpinUout, albert l and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Captain Zoom

Captain Zoom Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Good luck dude; losing weight at our age is difficult but doable. You just gotta remember your doctor's advice and take it slow!

I'm down to 250 (was 330 a couple years ago). Only downside is having to buy a whole new wardrobe. Three times.

You're going above and beyond with that half marathon--I don't run unless something with big teeth is chasing me!

Wish you the best. Keep us posted; I'll be reading your thread with great interest.

4. truck_n_vacation

Oct 31, 2015
  5. truck_n_vacation

Oct 31, 2015
    Walk one done. Wanted to jump in the sleeper and turn the satellite on, but I can do that now some I took a walk for 1.6 miles.

Note to self..... Don't eat less than 3 hours before any exercise. Belching sausage at a half mile in sucks.

Note #2 make sure shoes are laced tight to prevent foot slipping in shoe. And no ball cap again.

6. truck_n_vacation

Oct 31, 2015
    Too early at shipper.
    So guess what. Yep, go for a walk. Going to just walk around the block for a while in case they call to back into a door.
    Something is better than nothing, right?

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  7. truck_n_vacation

Oct 31, 2015
    Notice legs are a little sore and the lower backs is a little sore after about a mile. Might just need to push through it til they warm up completely.

Maybe I need a sports bra. ....lol:D
    Guess I've developed man titties.

8. truck_n_vacation

Oct 31, 2015
    I had my plans all set up for yesterday evening and got thrown a curveball right before I was going to shut down and pull out the bbq and take a walk. Had to swap out trailers and make a u-turn and go back the way I came.

So new plan. Drop 2 stops here and take off for the last one a few hours away. But first I will stop at a pilot and take a walk after my 2 stops!

Then a shower, cook my steak and cabbage w/tomatoes wrapped in foil. Mmmm Mmmm good.

Thought of writing what I eat each day to show others. And it will help me stay honest with myself. No temptations in the truck. Also I've learned not to carry my wallet in the truck stops. If I have no way to buy the temptations I'm not going to make an extra trip to the truck to get money or my card.

Breakfast. ......
    2 10oz cups of coffee and a banana for breakfast so far. And 1 cup of OJ.

Also I found out cantaloupe (a whole one) only has about 150 calories but 43 grams of sugar. Still a lot better than a snickers, fries, chips, donuts. So half of one and a apple a day will get my fruits for the day + my banana. That equals about 250 calories. I need to buy some peaches, pears and plums to mix it up some. And forgot to buy carrots to throw in my cabbage mix.

I will normally do this all at the end of day. Exercise, food, and issues I run into (pains,aches,success, and failures). Like my calves are sore this morning.

Will update again this evening.

9. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    What's the distance on the half marathon?

10. truck_n_vacation

Oct 31, 2015
    13.1 miles

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  11. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    I've done 13 milers. Back in high school.

Those were good days. Everyone at a marathon or a walk is in a positive state of mind. Good social atmosphere!

truck_n_vacation Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.