Weight Restricted Bridge Ticket

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Hometime, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Hometime

Hometime Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Southeast
    My hubby made a wrong exit and in the process of trying to get back to where he needed to go he went across a weight restricted bridge. A cop just happen to be behind him when he did and gave him a ticket. He is freaked out because he has not had a ticket for anything in over 25 years. Is this considered a moving violation and how does this factor into the DAC report?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Depends on the jurisdiction. It could be considered a moving violation, "failure to obet a traffic control device/sign."

I would be more concerned about where I got it. That will determine the fine. Which can be an unbelievable amount.

4. wahwah70

wahwah70 Medium Load Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Bloomfield Hills, Mi.
    I believe it's a moving violation in all jurisdictions......God is he lucky the bridge held!!!!!1

5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    That brings back memories! Years ago, I was lost in Patterson N.J. Got turned around and found myself crossing a bridge that said weight limit 10 tons.
    Only thing was, the load of glass I had weighed almost 44,000 lbs! Plus the weight of the tractor/trailer. Glad there were no cops around, or the bridge stayed up.....:biggrin_25519:

6. Highballin

Highballin Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Cleveland Texas
    Thats nothing I was permitted on a FM road Wieght limit was 56,000.My weight was 120,000 BTW bridge was stronger than they thought.Where sign was and the bridge there was no way to turn around.

7. Hometime

Hometime Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Southeast
    He got the ticket in Rhode Island. Cost $85.00. He didn't even realize the bridge was restricted until he got the ticket. You live and learn. But his main worry was how it affected his record.

8. Highballin

Highballin Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Cleveland Texas
    Should have been a sign.

9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    An attorney can get it reduced to faulty equipment or other nonmoving violation . Never just accept and pay any moving violation .

10. psanderson

psanderson Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Moline, Illinois
    It is a non-moving violation.

Also, if he exited from a national network highway (all interstates, u.s. highways, and certain state roads) he had one (1) road mile to be legal without any restriction (read 23 CFR 658.19). A state may not preempt this rule unless it is for a safety reason i.e. the bridge was not high or wide enough etc.

From a retired federal DOT official

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.