weight restrictions/limits/violation capacity of doubes/triples?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by kidz bop, Dec 30, 2017.

1. kidz bop

kidz bop Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2017
    What is the most weight on the axles of doubles/triples without getting an overweight violation?

i don't see it posted anywhere and done pretty thorough search. any experienced LTL driver's might know this question's answer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
  4. kidz bop

kidz bop Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2017
    so 2 axles on truck, plus 4 axles with 2 trailers. that's 6 axles. 80k weight on the 2 trailers, then more weight on the truck? wouldn't that add up to being over 92k weight limit for everything? that doesn't sound right, where was my math wrong.

5. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    All the same axle weights still apply as per state and federal laws.
    The same thing for gross weights.
    Every state is different and that is why you see doubles and triples in some states and not in others. Some states allow weights up to 105500# or more with the right permits.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  6. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    even tho you can axle that much the gross 80k is still all you can haul

carl320 Thanks this.
  7. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Beast has it correct. Axle weights are pretty standard across the board, but gross weights are variable. Some states have overweight permits that are cheap and easy(insert 'yo mama' joke here), while others make it hard to impossible to exceed 80K gross.

And just 'cause you're running triples, doesn't mean you're going to be running max weight. There's lots of high-bulk, low-weight freight out there, and it's what LTL generally specializes in.

Mike2633, upnorthwpg and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    A ton of feathers vs a ton of bricks....

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  9. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Depends on the state laws.

When I ran linehaul, our rule of thumb was 57/59k lbs of freight for Rocky Mountain Doubles/Triples respectively. Then when you add your equipment weight, you would scale right around 106k which is legal for my state of Montana.

Another rule of thumb we use is 1k lbs per foot of trailer length. So if you are pulling a 48 ft long box, if you are over 48k, you probably won't scale. This is for twin screw.

If you are running a single axle, your long box will not legal if you go past the 20k (of freight range). 16k is safe... Anything above that up to 19k is strictly based on a skilled forklift operator that knows how to load out.

Oddly enough, you can pull a pup with up to 23k of freight and still be legal with a single axle.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    And hopefully you don’t have something on there with a weight the shipper lied about.

I’ve ran loads with mine that approached the 30k mark. If you have a moveable fifth wheel and axles and you have light stuff in the first 12 feet of the trailer, you have a chance of making it work.

11. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    im sorry. I thought this was a thread about dispatchers being willing to "sign off" on single axle weights that are 1,200 lbs over....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.