Weird drive axle weight situation

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jdm5jdm5, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Jdm5jdm5

Jdm5jdm5 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2016
    I loaded up in California then went to the closest CAT scale and my drives were 34,100 (figured I'd be ok since I was only 100 pounds over). I went through weigh station as soon as I got into Oklahoma. and they wrote me up for my drives weighing 35100. I was confused since my weight was good in California. I went to the CAT scales 5 miles from the weigh station that wrote me up, and the drives were 33360. I went to a CAT scale in Arkansas after fueling up and my drives were 33960. Then went through weigh station in Tennessee and the drives were 35100. My fifth wheel is locked in the cab. Do you guys think somethings wrong with my fifth wheel, causing the weight to shift? Any ideas?

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    That's an awful lot of miles, I'm assuming you have fueled a few times in there?

Steel Dragon, SingingWolf and Jdm5jdm5 Thank this.
  4. Jdm5jdm5

Apr 13, 2016
    Yes, I fueled up a few times. As I mentioned, when I weighed in Arkansas it was after I filled up with fuel. So, it's not because of fuel weight

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I'm taking it these are diffrent loads? Just because it's the same thing, if it's loaded diffrently that will cause diffrent weights.

Jdm5jdm5 Thanks this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    There is an AWFUL lot of variation there, even accounting for fuel differences. Something tells me you're not letting the rig "relax" on the scales by letting off the foot brake and letting the rig settle without any brake application as you're weighing. (neutral, no brakes while on the scale or if you feel you must, let it relax first, then set tractor only)

Are we talking about a dry product or thick, cold liquid? Livestock? Snow/ice?

Rickp, Jdm5jdm5 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have a feeling you are not holding that rig to float on the scales as STexan stated.

I always allow the scales to take the rig, float a touch and ease in the trolley to settle her. (If it does not fall first... he he he...)

If it was a fuel problem you would have been over in Arkansas after fueling.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Or without looking at all the subsequent weights again .... He was running on fumes when he scaled after loading in CA, then added 200 gallons of fuel. That'd be a classic rookie mistake.

Steel Dragon and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    He's not being precise enough for me to make that assumption.

That was the first thought that crossed my mind, then he says arkansas fueling and boom weight is fine...

Makes me wonder what else is missing from this... short and condensed information.

10. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    Then they would have been over at the cat scale in Arkansas.

Steel Dragon and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. Jdm5jdm5

Apr 13, 2016

No snow or ice, I'm hauling produce (oranges, lemons, and carrots) would pressing on the brakes while stopped on the scale cause the drive weight to go up 1200 pounds?

its the same load. I picked up in California and taking produce to North Carolina

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.