Weird situation, what's your take?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BullNAChinaCloset, Oct 20, 2020.

1. BullNAChinaCloset

BullNAChinaCloset Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Colorado
    I just got my CDL, and I'm looking at financing a rig for owner operator hot shotting. I don't have my mc or DOT numbers yet. I was talking to people I know in the industry to get all the different opinions I could and it turns out I know someone that has their mc and dot numbers already. They are not active because they were doing something else for work and did not keep their insurance valid. I'm meeting with them today to talk about renewing their insurance, were going to talk about terms for running under their numbers. Does anybody do this and what rate would be fair? He's going to have to carry insurance while I'm driving under the numbers, which Is going to cost a good bit, probably around 3k a month. Do people usually charge a flat rate or a percentage of what I make for something like this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    With his MC going inactive it makes little sense for you to run his MC. You will be ahead if you run your own.

fordconvert, Old Man, Roguefox and 3 others Thank this.
  4. BullNAChinaCloset

Jan 18, 2013
    Colorado
    Yeah, well it takes time for me to get those numbers. A few months from what I understand.

5. 4mer trucker

4mer trucker Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Give this a read before doing anything

"Get Authority to Operate (MC Number) | FMCSA" Get Authority to Operate (MC Number) | FMCSA

6. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Your going to pay someone for nothing. Invest a bit of time and start your own process.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Just buy an authority.

8. BullNAChinaCloset

Jan 18, 2013
    Colorado
    Well, I get that, and that is the goal but I'm trying to work a way to work untill I can get these numbers. This is a temporary arrangement, I'm wondering what other people are paying to run under someone else's authority. Im sure I'm not the only one.

9. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    I think you will find the costly part will be insurance. So have your guy call the insurance and see how much insurance will be to reactivate the DOT/MC with you as a driver. I think you will find it is a large sum of money of which you can pay in a lump sum or installments with a big chunk down. None of this will probably transfer to you if you start your own DOT. You will have to do that all over again.

So it really does make sense to do your own numbers or you are throwing more money away on his DOT than you will starting your own.

Just my opinion. It doesn’t take as long as you think it does. Also don’t pay someone else to do it... do it yourself to become familiar with the process. You will know every piece of paper involved in case you need to produce it later. If you are worried about the funds while waiting on the numbers you may not have the funds needed anyhow, there is a thread at the top of this page that goes into about what it will cost you to get going. It is in the thousands and you need some reserve.

kemosabi49 and rachi Thank this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Hey here is a thought, lease onto an establish company and learn how this industry works.

'88K100, fordconvert, Roguefox and 3 others Thank this.
  11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    And then he will know why using his friend's old numbers is a bad idea without having to ask.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.