Well Folks, I'm Leaving KLLM!!!

Discussion in 'KLLM' started by newbiewannadoitright, Nov 27, 2009.

1. newbiewannadoitright

newbiewannadoitright "Right Wing Nut Job"

Sep 26, 2007
    Cajun Land
    Just to let everyone know that I resigned from KLLM while on Hometime. I advised my Dispatcher and administration. I requested a load from the house to be brought to Jackson. I was given one of my regular loads that I get after hometime and took it to the Jackson yard and then turned in my truck. The truck was clean when I returned it, and was given my truck deposit back along with the pay for the load I took to Jackson.
    I hated to leave after just 6 months, but I found that I really needed something closer to home right now. I was offered a job hauling locally and regionally, with an Owner Operator I've known. He has 7 trucks and hauls shipping containers out of the Ports and various other locations to locations around the state. He has all new or near new Freightliner FLD Classics and they are all asigned trucks. Several new routes will be starting in January and February to haul out of state, but it will be a day or so out, then back. Never on the road for more than a couple of days and most runs will have me sleeping in my own bed every night. I will be making at least the same amount of money and more once the new routes begin, so it was a driving job I feel I had to take. My actual goal has been and still is, to pull a tank, preferably Haz-Mat. That's what I hope to be doing someday. Anyway, KLLM has been good to me, but I just needed to be closer to home and family.

Texas-Nana, xllxmrjohnxllx and Ducks Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    I'm glad you're getting something closer to what you need.

xllxmrjohnxllx Thanks this.
  4. Ducks

Ducks "Token Four-Wheeler"

Jan 1, 2007
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    Good luck with your new job, newbie!

5. northbamatrucker

northbamatrucker Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I started pulling a fuel tanker over a month ago and I must say that I love it. Go to the port or refinery, load up with fuel, deliver it and do it again. From what I have seen tanker drivers seem like a different breed. Everyone is really cool and ready to help you if you have any questions or problems. :)

6. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
  7. newbiewannadoitright

Sep 26, 2007
    Cajun Land
    Yeah, I've noticed that. Maybe it's because most tankers have to be drivers for few years before they can pull a tank, and have settled in to their profession. Most everyone of the higher paying companies I've found require at least 3 to 5 years. Being a Suicide Jockey yankin' a tank full of fuel would be pretty cool. I was kind of thinking more toward the industrial stuff like chemicals and acids. I think the only thing I wouldn't want to pull would be an Atomic Bomb (Propane or LPG Gas) Yikes!!!:mshocked:

8. Big Al C

Big Al C Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2009
    boondocks, MS
    My plan when I started school was to get 6 months to a year experience OTR and then hopefully find something close to home. Glad to know it can be done. Thanks for all your popstings on this forum nubie, they've been a great resource for me (and others, I'm sure). Good luck on the new job!!

9. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    So besides needing to be home more, was KLLM decent for you? Trying to get info before I fill out an app. I'm doing my homework this time before I fill out an application. After a year I finally learned the hard way.

10. newbiewannadoitright

Sep 26, 2007
    Cajun Land
    Yeah, read my previous posts. They were totally honest and up front on everything with me. My pay was correct every week, except for one, where I had a unloading fee of 200 bucks left off because I put the wrong code in the qualcomm. One phone call to payroll and it was put on my comdata card within 10 minutes.
    I averaged about 2800 to 3500 miles per week, usually around 3000. I had a good late model truck that was well maintained, a good trainer after orientation, and decent runs, even though I would occassionally get stuck in the NorthEast for a week or two. But I would make a call to my dispatcher and tell her to get me outta there and usually I would get a run to Texas or Oklahoma and away from HELL. I had no real complaints, other than being away for 4 to 6 weeks was the best way to make better money. I have a local job now hauling shipping containers out of the Port and around the state or just across the borders and back. So I sleep in my own bed every night now. I would go back if I couldn't find a local job, and hope they would have me again. KLLM is a good starter company, with alot of long term drivers who have been there 10 and 20 years or more. I would go there before I tried any other company. When I would see the condition of some trucks out there with alot of other companies, or hear the horror stories from those drivers, it made me glad I was with KLLM.

11. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    Thanks for the info. I'm looking into lease but I'm waiting on some info about it from someone else. I'm really wanting to own my own truck plus have the freedom of not being governed down so slow. I live in Shreveport so the ride to Jackson won't be bad if they take me. Just doing my research first.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.