Well...got a speeding ticket for 15 over, advice?

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Xzachtly, Jan 5, 2019.

1. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Some times, those towns are so small that the traffic clerk is also the judge.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Sometimes, if you're in Mayberry, NC, the Sheriff is also the JP! :p

SteerTire and buddyd157 Thank this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    HA! I'm a fan of Andy Griffith, and on one episode, Barney says, he's going to patrol main highway for speeders, and Andy says, now Barn, you know we let the truckers go a bit over the limit so they can make it over "Walkers Hill". I LMAO about that.

5. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Hire a local attorney to take your ticket to court. We all make mistakes. Nothing wrong with what you did, those small towns are setup to make ticket revenue. Try and find a traffic attorney that deals with CDL drivers and services the county you got the ticket in. If you can't find an attorney, take the other people's advice and try to contact the county clerk office or whoever to pay the fine for a reduced charge.

I tell this to everyone I see in this situation. I got a ticket for 66mph in a 55mph zone with a hazmat vehicle. My MVR had been spotless before this. I didn't argue with the cop or anything, just got the ticket and continued my day. Called an attorney the next day. Faxed him the ticket and paid $150 for his services. He scheduled the court date, he showed up in court instead of me, and he got my ticket dismissed because the cop didn't show. So I ended up saving $100 because I didn't have to pay the citation AND I kept my license clean.

6. al_huryn

al_huryn Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Interstatetrucker.com

shatteredsquare Thanks this.
  7. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    google Drivers Legal Plan. Since you didn't have an account when this happened, it is 500 bucks for them to put a lawyer on the ticket, then you'll set up an account with them. They will get the ticket info, their lawyer will get in touch with the county, and they will work on getting it reduced or removed, or adjusted to something less likely to hamstring your future commercial driving prospects. You'll probably have to take an online class with a 200 dollar registration fee, and maybe some other stuff. If the lawyer doesn't use the retention fee you paid they will refund it back to you. DO NOT PAY IT, contact Drivers Legal Plan as soon as possible

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I saw that one. I got a kick out of the bush on the front of his motorcycle. :biggrin_25523:

Dan.S and 201 Thank this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    This is why I love my RM GPS. I alerts me when a speed limit reduction is approaching. If there are two or more speed reductions ahead it announces each one. I have it set to alert me 1/2 mile in advance of the changes.

Often small towns hide that second or third sign behind a bush, sign, or other obstruction. With RM I KNOW that I need to be looking for that hidden sign. I try to be at or a tad below the speed limit by the time I pass the sign. The last speeding ticket I got was in 1998 in my car.

classic_150 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  10. Makeajump

Makeajump Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    My Garmin does that too, and even school zones with a different sound alert. I really like that!

singlescrewshaker and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Yeah, there's nothing like topping out on a hill at 65 mph and suddenly see a 45 mph sign quickly followed by a 35 mph sign. Without that heads up I would have to get hard on the brakes. With the heads up I know to let the uphill reduce my speed and prepare for whatever reduced speed limits are ahead.

Makeajump Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.