Well I ate my words on fuel additives this morning.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by bzinger, Jan 16, 2020.

1. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I've stated in the past I dont use fuel additives in cold weather unless my truck is going to be shut off for a long period and never had an issue (isx Cummins)....until this morning in Minnesota at -17 .
    It thru a check engine lite and i cussed it and kept going .
    Over the course of an hour the power died off to nothing so I parked it and looked at my Davco and it was full of wax .
    Shined a flashlight in the tanks and they were all cloudy .
    Well sob !!
    Idled it up to 1500 and it's coming out of it now .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    If it that’s cold I would cover my grill too. Less problems with regens if you are driving newer truck. Better fuel mileage with older truck.

4. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    You’re good down to about 0 with winterized #2 but -17 is well below the CFPP (cold filter plug point) and approaching the cold pour point. The best idea is to run #1 fuel when it gets that cold. Will start easier and burn better in cold temps. You’re good down to at least -20 CFPP with that stuff.

Rideandrepair, D.Tibbitt, PE_T and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Doealex

Feb 21, 2018
    #1 is not available everywhere. You just have to put more additives (check the label). I heard some people use kerosene also, but I wouldn’t try it on newer trucks.

6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I've always run power service but I guess I'll be running more of it .
    I've run in some pretty cold weather and never had a issue till now as long as the engine is running .
    Maybe newer isx engines dont return as much fuel as older ones did .

7. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I would also take a look at where you got the last fill up on fuel. Maybe it wasn't treated as well as it should have been?

8. Doealex

Feb 21, 2018
    Agreed. I learned that the hard way also. I get my fuel from TA or Petro when it’s that cold.

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Heck, it could be as simple as the wind was blowing from the front of the truck. Kept adding cold air faster than warm fuel was helping.

10. Doealex

Feb 21, 2018
    That’s why I
    That’s why I cover my grill at these temperatures. Some people also put a heavy boot to cover their metal fuel filters. But how can you insulate your tanks?

11. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    No but it regularly is in places where it typically gets that cold. Any Town Pump Pilot in MT will have it. Most places in the Dakotas and MN will also. I have even seen it in ID along I-90.

They do not sell it anywhere around me since it doesn't get that cold really ever, but one place does have a kerosene pump would also work with a lubricity additive. That is all #1 fuel basically is anyway.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.