Well, i did it!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by LuvDemTigers, Dec 7, 2007.

1. LuvDemTigers

LuvDemTigers Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NC
    I applied tonight for Schneider. They will train me with no money up front, I am reading. I may have to work for them for 18 months to pay it back, but the experience will be good experience. I need to now make sure i can pass the DOT physical. Get my sugar as under control as I can. I have been wanting to do this for a while now and I finally bit the bullet. This cant be anything but good...right? :biggrin_2556:

Anyway, what can i expect now? A phone call from them? Do I just wait it ut or do I call them? Im in Charlotte, so it wont be a problem for training.

OK, now Im scared. LOL. :biggrin_25523:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sassytrucker

sassytrucker <strong>"Don't Sass Me"</strong>

Oct 29, 2007
    Denison, TX
    I know how you feel. :biggrin_2552: I start school with Interstate in January and as the time goes by, my nerves increase! I am so excited and can't wait to get going but at the same time I am also a bit terrified. When dh and I put in our application with Interstate it took a couple of days before we heard back from them. We had also applied with CRST but decided not to go with them. CRST got back with us the very next day and said we were all clear to go and were ready for us to start immediately. Looking back, I don't think that was a good sign. I guess CRST will take just about anyone and they do it quick! I would rather have a company that takes a few days to actually screen its applicants. Interstate said it takes them that long because they actually run your background and driving checks and check out your references.

I would give it a couple of days and then if you don't hear anything give them a call. Good luck!

4. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

Now you would wait for them to reply- they will do an MVR/DAC check, and may also do a background check, and these processes can take a few days.

Are you scared or nervous? Nervousness is understandable, because trucking (esp OTR) is a lifestyle, NOT just another job. And it's a big change.

5. capnhector

capnhector Light Load Member

after the app online they will call you schedule your dot physical after asking you all sorts of health questions (so that if you obviously don't meet dot standards like needing insulin injections to control diabetes they wont have to get you a dot physical) then after the physical they wait till your drug screen and all the background checks they run have come back then schedual you for school. if you do come up with any questions just call your recruiter and they can answer them, however take what they say with a grain of salt since they get a bonus for new hires, so they have been known to bend the truth.

6. LuckyLady7

LuckyLady7 <strong>Good Luck Charm</strong>

Nov 8, 2007
    South Carolina
    Now you wait for that call...trucking is a great job...but the lifestyle takes alot of getting used to...good luck!

7. BigDaddyJollyRob

BigDaddyJollyRob <strong>"El Oso"</strong>

Nov 10, 2007
    WARWICK,RI
    Keep your sugar in check,small meals ever few hours,more fiber reduce sugar intake. Check on there sight for there exercise pre test and get practicing. It seems the disqualify alot of people because of this.Just some friendly info. type 2

8. LuvDemTigers

Dec 5, 2007
    NC
    I do have type 2 diabetes. I havent checked it in a LONG time and was very surprised today when I did and saw that it was almost normal. Of course, this comes from not eating at ALL due to the fact that I am having a LOT of problems with my marriage and family. I cant eat and am losing wight. I have already had to punch two extra holes in my belt. :D

BTW...they called me this afternoon but I was working my PT job and didnt get the call. Im going to try to call them tomorrow.

9. B-rad

B-rad Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    If you are having trouble with your marriage and family, it is going to be very tough to go into their training with problems on your mind. Schneider's training is very intense and requires focus on the training all day and then studying in the evening for 14 days and then for two weeks with a trainer over the road before you get your CDL. I wish you the best but be prepared.

10. LuvDemTigers

Dec 5, 2007
    NC
    Thanks B-Rad...my wife is wanting to go to her parents to live and it is hurting me. She says she needs "Time to think". Going on the road will give her that time. Im totally committed to this. She is going to do what she is going to do. i cant stop her. I would prefer that she not, but hey, she needs "time". I figure if im out on the road, she gets her time and I see my little girl 6 days a month. Gonna be the same whether I drive a truck or not. May as well get trained for a career that I will make some decent money at without having to sell something. I am SO tired of commission sales, you just dont have a clue.

I love my wife. I really do. But I think some time apart will do us some good. I spent 10 weeks at the South Carolina Police Academy...one of the most intense academies in the country. 2 weeks at Schneider cant be worse that that. :D

11. wallbanger

wallbanger "Enemy of showers everywhere"

Hey LDT, guess what? Driving a truck is more like commission sales than you think. Mileage (per week goes up and down), causing your check to do the same. Hometime reduces your check too, as will sitting at customers. Your paycheck will never look the same, week to week (starting to sound familiar?). The only difference is that you won't be trying to sell anyone anything, just keeping in touch with your Disp, etc.

And good luck to you and your family, I know what that feels like.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.