were the megas always a poor place to work

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Sep 18, 2017.

1. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    i curious about the history of these companies. were the companies like Werner, swift, Schneider, JB hunt, knight, ect ect at one time good places to work? perhaps before they became publicly traded companies. i know today good advice is telling a new driver to stay away from these outfits, and for good reasons. was it always this way? i had a brief stay with werner, and from day one not a great place...... even in training it wasnt that great. i wonder if that was the case 30, 40, or even 50 years ago.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    No. Not always. It was when they were all truly having a hard time meeting USA growth demands (around the early 90's?) and started the "training model" is when things started changing drastically internally in those companies as well as the industry in general.

bzinger and stayinback Thank this.
  4. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Even beyond the early 90 explosions..........

Before Dereg- Yeah Schneider was a great place to work- they were actually Union drivers.

Dereg allowed the carriers to become monsters-Dump any form of organization for drivers- and Explode into Mega status

bzinger Thanks this.
  5. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I've heard from some old timers in Omaha that Werner was a decent place to work in the 80s as long as ya didn't mind being out weeks at a time .

6. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    really its too bad, and the industry is almost setup where a new driver is forced to go with them. i know i had a heck of a time getting a start in the industry after school, no one locally would hire me....... its almost like the system is rigged. well i finally got into the local scene which was my intention from the first day i stepped foot in a truck. i wanted nothing to do with werner, but was coming up empty on a local job. of course i also finished school in the late fall so that didnt help matters.

its like allot of things in this country. its too bad these once great companies went into the toilet.

i had a friend of mine that suggested i go to the pumpkin after werner let me rot in a hotel for 3 weeks waiting for a training. i decided against it and figured they were all the same kind of trash.

Toomanybikes and bzinger Thank this.
  7. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    i think insurance companies should loosen the restrictions on local companies and allow them to take new drivers, provided they have some form of a training program for new drivers. this nonsense where the local companies can hire who they want is nonsense. perhaps a local company would do a better job training them anyways. i know my training was a joke.

8. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    A lot of these megas were great companies when the old men were running them like your Johnny Bryan (JB) Hunt, Al and Don Schneider and your Clarence Werner's. I remember when JB Hunt was the first mega company to offer .41 mile to start when everyone else was paying .28 to.32 mi. Now you got these people who don t know jack squat about trucking running things. I bet some of these old men have rolled over in their graves about as many times their trucks wheels turn daily

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    JB Hunt was really the beginning of the end. They were one of the first to be trashed by all the "old timers" as they were coming up and gained a NEW reputation for hiring "inexperienced drivers" and was probably the first to transition to a "mega company" in the terms of how we often define them today.

Lots has changed in the industry just since 1990, some for the better, some for the worse.

10. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    my friend that i am mentioning holds a CDL and drove back in the 1980's. he still has a CDL-A and uses it to drive a class B bucket truck, he is an electrician and keeps his class-A up because he figures he has it for life, he still uses it in a way.

he was the one that said i should have gone the pumpkin, but he remembers a time when it was a good company. he said the same thing about JB hunt...... back in his day these were good outfits to work for.

someone who has been out of the loop for 30 years really has no clue what its like today. things aren't even similar to how they were.

bzinger Thanks this.
  11. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    i bet the very thing that makes all of these companies bad is their training programs with a warehouse full of drivers ready to replace those that quit. i spent allot of time in that hotel in allentown PA and it was pretty easy to figure it out. they probably had 50 people in there at a time. i knew it was not company growth. ok, so if its not company growth, what is it? doesnt take long to figure out that they have drivers quitting at such a high rate they need a hotel full of "replacements".

the training program enables them to treat their drivers like trash because it provides them with ready to go replacements. the government aides them in their quest and even provides "grants" to train "replacements"

what a scam on the drivers that want to stay there and do a good job, drivers that go into it thinking they have a future with those companies. i knew i wanted nothing to do with it, allot of guys do want to work there at first.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.