Werner Dedicated accounts (general dollar, family dollar etc.)

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Shanebme3, Sep 19, 2017.

1. ywevis

ywevis Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2016
    Albemarle, NC
    Lol these replies from people on this account is ridiculous. I run dollar general on my second week by myself for SNI. I love it. I get 3-4 stops a day and can still make it home almost daily. 1300 peices in less than 1.5 hours. Just gotta hustle. Better than sitting in a chair for 11 hours trying to beat others to a truck rest area. Yes backing can be tight and people will try to run around you to get out of the parking lot like your gonna block them in. I had a sheriff come out and block a 4 lane highway so I could back into the DG.

Overall if you have a strong work ethic and want to do things other than sitting in a chair this is it. Just remember to always get out and look. I do two or three times those 4 wheelers will try to run around you when your backing in.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You probably drove in the Army and have the discipline and experience of critical thinking, that someone younger may not have.

Big Mike Truck Life and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  4. ywevis

ywevis Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2016
    Albemarle, NC
    Ya I drove a little in the army. Not like this though. I do use google maps way before I get to my stop to analyze the situation prior to arriving. Most of the time I know how I am going to enter and do my backing maneuvers. Once it’s in, I tell the DG people 1.5 hrs I’ll be done and they look at me in disbelief. I usually get done in about a hour and 15 but eat some food then tell them I am done. Every store I’ve been to they say they never seen a truck get unloaded so fast. It’s not about rushing but staying one pace. I don’t take breaks til I am done. But yes critical thinking is needed. It’s a good job if you like to work. And I mean work..

Rocknroller4 and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I have much experience with rear load trash dumpsters. Having to back into them. All over the place they pull that. Including DG. With a tractor trailer. I think it would be a good idea to get a portable camera for the back of the trailer. So if something does happen. It catches them darting behind you. The do it alot. In vehicles, walking, everything.

I think it's a good idea to view the unloading as exercise. Work it that way. It's good for you. I haven't ruled out something like this. To be honest, I'd rather go for a Sysco account. Something like that.

6. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    How fast you work also depends on how fast the store wants to work.

7. ywevis

ywevis Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2016
    Albemarle, NC
    No that’s false... the rate of work is up to you they don’t help unload or do anything to be in your way. You unload then get manager and he verifies all his store products are off truck but that’s the interaction you have. I get and leave stores in under 2 hours most times. If they don’t have 6 boats might take a little longer.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive already said many posts about Dollars etc. I wont repeat all of it.

Here in the Rock, Dollars are places where the morale is bad and the threat level is higher than most other places. There are two so far this year where people have been shot dead during robbery attempts. One we dont go to shop anymore because as a conceal carry, that particular robbery happened an hour after we left there. Too close for comfort.

The main thing is the docking, you are going to hit someone, or something and there you are dismissed for a preventable. And a staff of the store not motivated enough to keep up with you and your trailerful of stuff. I can always tell when a trailer has just been to a dollar store, there is everything thrown in piles from the dock plates all the way to the access hatch towards the back of the store behind the toy shelves and more of the unpriced stuff spilling out along the unused shelving until it gets cleaned up and shelved.

9. ywevis

ywevis Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2016
    Albemarle, NC
    Hmm I’ve been in stores from NC to Maryland and doing a little skit in Wisconsin. Lol I went early to a delivery was a 4 am stop but I hit it at 4pm, was a front load store. Front parking lot was full of cars, I still got out successfully. But I try to be patient when getting in and out rushing will get you into an accident. Yes, it’s highly hard to maneuver in the parking lots.

10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    As far as the unloading. ... I remember a day a couple years ago. A Class A truck driver walked up and talked to me while I was working. I did trash. Rear load dumpsters. He said he was looking around for possible local work. Asked me about the job. My truck was just like a tractor. It was a Kenworth T370. I told him I get in and out of that truck, 60 times a day. He said: "Gee... I don't know if I could do that." .... I felt very sorry for him.
    I don't ever want to allow myself to get in that bad of shape. Ever...
    Even injured, with bad pain all the time in my legs and lower back. I still got in and out of that truck, 60 times a day.

11. GypsyWanderlust

GypsyWanderlust Medium Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I’m in upstate NY and was considering Werner FD account until I read this thread. I’m done at Sage this month and trying to find a decent paying gig that hires up here and also will let my dog ride with me. A lot of the companies mentioned show a year or more experience on their job page. Hopefully someone here has a suggestion on a pet friendly option. Thanks!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.